Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #11 
Livelifelaughlove

I saw one the other day that i almost got *it was a crowntail so i could afford it, rather than the halfmoon i really wanted and couldn't* it was red enough you could probably sell it for a small profit. But my mom said no again
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Ooh, I bet a red crowntail would be beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #13 
Livelifelaughlove

and it had somelike shimmery blue strands it was very pretty! would probably be even better after some proper care and love
Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry you couldn't get him. I saw a red doubletail a couple years ago that I wish I'd gotten.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #15 
anastasiavixen

Red is not a common color? I thought it was... Mine is a pretty red red, if you know what I mean. Hmmm.... What are more common colors for bettas?
anastasiavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #16 
Livelifelaughlove

Red is common when they are young, but is recessive. It seems that purple and blue/green are the most common
and black is unfertile so its the rarest. But a true red betta, is considered "rare" not like where there are None, but they are not near as common.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Blue and purple are pretty common. Pink and white are becoming more common, too.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #18 
anastasiavixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmnemms View Post
Red is common when they are young, but is recessive. It seems that purple and blue/green are the most common
and black is unfertile so its the rarest. But a true red betta, is considered "rare" not like where there are None, but they are not near as common.
Maybe mine is still young then. I honestly don't know how old he is, since I got him from a baby shower... I don't think he is old, but I don't think he is brand spanking new, since I have had him for a year or so. I wonder if anyone has any pics of a true red betta for me to compare?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #19 
Nataku

'True red' is a red betta without any other color washes on it. Meaning it has no blue, green or purple washes anywhere on it's fins or body. Red itself is a pretty common gene (although it does fade as they age), it's just that getting a 'true red' without washes is considerably harder to get, requiring a clean breeding line (not something you'll see in most pet store bettas), and so is not as common.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #20 
anastasiavixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
'True red' is a red betta without any other color washes on it. Meaning it has no blue, green or purple washes anywhere on it's fins or body. Red itself is a pretty common gene (although it does fade as they age), it's just that getting a 'true red' without washes is considerably harder to get, requiring a clean breeding line (not something you'll see in most pet store bettas), and so is not as common.
I see, thanks for the clarification :) I like that he has that little bit of purple on him, actually. I think it makes him more interesting, but I see your point. I wonder how you would get a clean breeding line? Go straight to the source? Is it even possible?