Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Important question!

Is it safe to add Epsom salts to my 10 gallon NPT? It has snails, plants, and one betta.

I'm leaving for college and can't bring this betta or tank with me, so I would like to leave her here to be fed by my sisters until I return on the weekends, when I can. I believe she is developing an illness, though. My male betta that I'm currently dealing with has come down with dropsy. I'm hoping the case isn't the same with her, but if it is, I'd like to get treating right away. I want to put some epsom salt in the tank now, as a precaution. She's much more active now that before, but I'm still worried.

Is it safe to add epsom salts to the tank? Will it hurt the plants and/or snails?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ad-all-255001/
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Thank you for the link, but it didn't quite answer my question. I want to know if it is safe to add the salt into a tank with snails and plants. I just want to try to prevent what happened to my boy from happening to my girl too. The salt won't be in the tank for more than a week. I plan on doing a water change when I come back over the weekend.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

That depends entirely on what plants and snails you have. Some do not tolerate salt and others can. Hopefully you can list what you have in the tank so that someone who knows more about plants can help you.

As for the link, since you are looking at dosing with salt, I thought it would be an interesting read for you.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

It was, which is why I don't plan on keeping the salt in for longer than a week. I don't want anything bad happening to my betta, plants, or snails.

The snails are Malaysian Trumpets. I have a long list of plants, so I can't really list all of them...
Old 08-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Trumpet snails are tough as nails. I would guess they will do fine, but I don't know because I never use salt.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

To be safe, I'd just move your girl into a container (doesn't have to be an aquarium, you can use Rubbermaid or even a plastic bucket) with some silk plants in it while you're treating with salt.

I know the general rule is no salt, at all, with inverts and plants...so I'd be worried, even with Epsom salts. It's a different type, but it's still salt, still dehydrates (actually even more than AQ salt), which is what is going to affect your plants and inverts.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote