Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 
AkidaFish

Rate My Setup

Hey guys. I'm Kyle. I've always wanted a betta, and about a week ago I just said screw it I'm getting one. When I first got him (Royal Blue Veiltail) the only thing I had for him was a 2 gallon bowl my dad used to keep albino african frogs in. After about three days he started to get ammonia burns and begin molting his blue coloring, I presume out of stress of the water quality. He also started biting his tail.

Then two days ago my girlfriend's dad gave me a 3-5 gallon tank (not sure) with a filter, a lamp and a castle thing along with a silken plant. After I set everything up I put him in (floating him to acclimate to the temperature). I set the filter up with a charcoal deposit to filter out the ammonia and behind the left castle I have a moss ball.

I'd like you guys to rate my new set up and give me ANYTHING I can use to make it better for him. Please don't include any of the below things, as I already know them:
  1. Bigger Tanks
  2. Heater
  3. Water Changes (I do them)

I only have what I got and I'm trying to give him the best. Yes, I know I should have waited to get a better set up, but I didn't and now it's either use this stuff or flush him/give him to someone else who probably doesn't know anything about betta care, and probably doesn't care enough to look. Both options I will not do, and are unacceptable.

AkidaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #2 
buzzybeeme0131

he could use some real plant ( you don't really have to) if you wanna be cheep you can go to the dollar store and get little marbles , rocks , fake shells to put in there to jazz it up! and btw it looks really nice so far and don't add any other fish to this tank he will kill. all the stuff i listed up there i have in my tank for 1 year now and hes fine :)

Last edited by buzzybeeme0131; 07-14-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: messed up
buzzybeeme0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #3 
Lamb

I like the set up! But I would definitely get a heater first before anything else. :)
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It seems like a fairly good set up to me.

The first thing I would suggest, and I know you said you already know but I can honestly not urge it enough, is to get a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and will not do well, be susceptable to disease, and die sooner in anything below 76 degrees.

The tank size is good. 5g is more then enough for a betta and 3G is just fine.

I would be feeding him omega one or new life spectrum. These foods have little filler, but lots of protein, whole fish, and other great stuff. Assuming the "baby shrimp" are freeze dried... Brine shrimp or another shrimp, you can give him a bit once a week as a treat.

Bettafix contains tea tree oil, which is not a very effective medication, and it can potentially coat your fish's labarinth organ and kill it. Please keep that in mind.

One thing that is nice but not necessary is live plants, which are beneficial to the water quality and provide nice hiding spots for your fish.

So yea. Overall its a nice setup but some tweaks would make it a lot better.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #5 
jesssan2442

some broad leaf plants would be great and some plants that reach to the top of the tank so he something to rest on near the surface! It would make the tank look taller which make the tank look bigger!

this is just my prefrence, but some black or natural colored gravel would really make the tank look better... A background would make his colors pop!

some driftwood would look nice too and would give the tank a natural look! and the rainbow caves aren't the best but its better than nothing! walmart and the dollar store normally have some cool stuff you can use in your tank!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #6 
AkidaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
It seems like a fairly good set up to me.

The first thing I would suggest, and I know you said you already know but I can honestly not urge it enough, is to get a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and will not do well, be susceptable to disease, and die sooner in anything below 76 degrees.

The tank size is good. 5g is more then enough for a betta and 3G is just fine.

I would be feeding him omega one or new life spectrum. These foods have little filler, but lots of protein, whole fish, and other great stuff. Assuming the "baby shrimp" are freeze dried... Brine shrimp or another shrimp, you can give him a bit once a week as a treat.

Bettafix contains tea tree oil, which is not a very effective medication, and it can potentially coat your fish's labarinth organ and kill it. Please keep that in mind.

One thing that is nice but not necessary is live plants, which are beneficial to the water quality and provide nice hiding spots for your fish.

So yea. Overall its a nice setup but some tweaks would make it a lot better.
If BettaFix isn't good for them, why do they call it bettafix? :/. I was only using it because he has some torn fins from the tailbiting and becase I'm still learning to handle him.

I'll look into live plants later on, but until I learn enough to keep him happy and healthy I'm not going to bother.

The baby shrimp are "sun dried", do you think they will hurt him? He really likes them.

Also do you know anything about why he's turning somewhat red?

Here is his coloration:

Last edited by AkidaFish; 07-14-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 
AkidaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssan2442 View Post
some broad leaf plants would be great and some plants that reach to the top of the tank so he something to rest on near the surface! It would make the tank look taller which make the tank look bigger!

this is just my prefrence, but some black or natural colored gravel would really make the tank look better... A background would make his colors pop!

some driftwood would look nice too and would give the tank a natural look! and the rainbow caves aren't the best but its better than nothing! walmart and the dollar store normally have some cool stuff you can use in your tank!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #8 
sainthogan

The only other thing I would suggest is something to cover the holes on the lid. I say this because my female jumped out of her tank through a small 1/2 inch hole in her lid. Bettas are notorious jumpers. Small pieces of cardboard work well on mine.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

betta tabks size is important, but even more so is a proper cleaning/maintainance schedule and a good diet. All the best for your new fishy friend.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #10 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Just a little note... Plants "take up" ammonia as part of their processes... Charcoal does not. Charcoal is great for removing old meds but it's value doesn't last long.
If live plants are taking up ammonia then they will help to provide a safe home for your new betta. He is the one producing the ammonia and we can only remove it by live plants, water changes or a good conditioner like Prime.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote