Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #1 
veganchick

I'm gonna need a bunch of help...

Idk if you all remember, but I have mentioned a few times that I saved one of my bettas from a science progect that one of the other grades at my school did about 6 months ago.. maybe more? Anyway, my science teacher decided that it was a great idea, and that our grade should do it.... I don't know how to explain the whole project, but I will tell you it involves a betta and two goldfish in a 1.5 liter container uncleaned, and unfed for the whole time. We are supposed to work in groups of four so overall that will be 50 containers, 100 goldfish, and 50 bettas.... I have already written my teacher a not on how it is against my ethisities to do such a project, but we are still forced to do it. He did however change the time that the fish will be in there from 2 months to two weeks! but anyway, He told me that I could take home an dieing fish, or sick fish to nurse back to health and we could count them as dead for the project. anyway, I am guessing that about 3/4 of the goldfish will go, and 1/2 of the bettas will, despite my best efforts..... Also, in the end I will take home all remaining fish. My mom finally agreed to this as she knows how strongly I feel about animals having some rights. The only thing is i have to purchase everything with my own money, and it all has to fit in my room which will work cuz I will be moving my bed out of there soon! Anyway, I have a 20g which is WAY too small for around 25 2" (thats the size we have to get them for the project) goldfish, and some small (3g) qt tanks for them, I have a friend with a goldie pond tht says she will take 10-15 of the golfish, too. I am all stocked up on my meds for my fish. For the bettas I have some 1g, and half gallon qt tanks for them to go into till they are well enough to share divided 10g tanks (the will have 3.3g each). and some 2.5g tanks for the bettas that are gonna take a LONG time to recover. Anyway, I need help and homes for ALL of these fish, I might be able to keep a few, but not many.... I can nurse them back to health, and then if you will pay for half the shipping if it costs a lot, or all the shipping if you are close thats the only cost. please PM me if you are interested. I really need help! Thank you.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #2 
fishyinpa

Oh wow...thats horrible!! Good luck with all of them.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can you put some of them in your work room?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #4 
dukie1346

Good Luck, I'm glad your helping the poor fish!
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Veganchick, you are such a kindhearted person. :)
Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #6 
veganchick

Thanks for all the comments, everybody :) and yes, it is horrible... Dramaqueen, thanks! That makes me feel good! And as for the work room that was gonna be a fish room, we are have some flooding problems (spring in kansas is REALLY rainy) so that is messing up the outlets and stuff.... Thanks fot the suggestion, tho!

Really, if anyone is interested in a betta tho, please tell me, and I'll keep u updated, if not, thanks for all the nice comments and support, U can stay updated, too! I went to petco today and got some more supplies (goldfish flakes, tropical anti-bacteria food, more frozen brine shrimp, a few tanks and some iche medicine. I still have to get MORE tanks, filters, heaters, bettafix, this one med..... idk what its called, but the reveiws make me think it will help alot on bites from ather fish, and torn fins, so i can use it for my bettas and goldfish only 2 weeks till we start the dreaded experiment. :( By the way, not all the bettas will be VTs, Everyone is picking out their own, so there will be some really cool looking ones, male and female. The goldfish are fancy, not koi! Man, I am gonna be sooooooo busy!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry your workroom is flooded. :( That would be the perfect place to set up your betta "hospital". I think your parents are great for letting you do this.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #8 
veganchick

Ya, they are great! It took some begging, but I think my mom let me do it becuz she knew how sad it would be for me to watch the little guys get sick, and torn up.. The space is gonna be really tight, but I think I can make it work! I keep promising My self I'm not gonna get attached, but I know I will!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Of course you'll get attached to them. It can't be helped. lol
Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #10 
Nataku

A hint to you as you are still gathering tanks preparing for the 'fish flood' - tupperware bins also work great as temporary tanks, and are generally far cheaper than a glass tank (and a lot harder to break!). In my local home depot there are rectangular tupperware (well I call them that, they aren't brand name, they are plastic containers) that come in a couple sizes, from a gallon to about two gallons. The wonderful part - they cost a 1.99 each, with lid (which is not hard at all to poke/cut some holes into).
Also, look around in your local Wal-mart or Target (or equivelant) in the section they normally keep plastic bins for general storage and clothing storage. These come in a variety of sizes, some of them quite large (great idea if you need more temporary housing for goldfish since we know how much of a mess they make) and can often be stacked on top of each other for greater space conservation. These are all generally cheaper than any tank of equivelant size (a 110 quart (27.5 gallon) for 15 bucks with hinged lid? How can you beat that?), and they come with lids and handles.... which makes moving them around infinately easier!
Perhaps they aren't quite as aesthetically pleasing (although they are all clear plastic, so you can still see the fish) as glass tanks, but they will help you get the job done.

I wish you the best of luck with this fish-saving endeavor (and would thoroughly document the whole thing as it happens in school, so you can write a letter to your local or state school board to present your case so that they can pass a rule to no longer do such experiments). I hope you will be able to provide us with pictures of these guys as you bring them home and begin their rehabilition process?
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote