Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good advice! That's a good idea to document everything and then we can hear about how everything is going and how the fish are doing.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #12 
veganchick

Thanks for the advice! I set up a goldfish tub (from target, its huge! like 35g, plus I already have a 20g) for all my goldfish.... I already have all my betta tanks, and I now have no room left at all, and hardly any money (only like $200) left for the rest of the "project" you could call it. I feel bad cuz I am stooping below my 2.5g minimum for betta tanks, but I absolutly don't have the room for that many tanks in my bedroom, and Although I have some divided tanks that are rather large most of the bettas will be pretty sick so they cant go in a devided one... I also have a few hermit crab tanks and other fish tanks/ tubs sut up because aparently everyone has to get the goldies and the betta, then they can get MORE... I am really upset about this whole thing... but hopefully i can find everyone great homes! Thanks again for the advice! You saved me about $100! lol
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #13 
veganchick

by the way, u know how the librarian was not really giving her betta the care it deserved, and all of them kept dying? well she decided to hand this one over to me cuz he was too much work! he has very minor, treatable finrot, and he is emaciated, but thats it! He will also be "up for adoption" I'll get pics soon, he is a bright red/orange crowntail male about 2 inches right now....
Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds like you have really been busy getting everything set up. They'll be ok in smaller containers as long as the water changes are kept up with. These smaller containers will just be temporary any way, until you get them adopted out.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #15 
veganchick

ya! its a lot of work! I don't even wanna think about all the water changes cuz alot of the tanks/bowls/tubs aren't cycled. I was going to ask if anyone on here wanted shrimp, but I'm guessing know one wants to pay for ghost shrimp that they can get for 25 cents at petsmart, so i think I'll just put them in with my already overcrowded (i had to move alot of my fish to fit the extra tanks) 10g with guppies, cherry barbs, and white clouds (I know, once I have things under controll I can hopefully upgrade)
Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, you're going to be in water up to your ears. lol But it's worth it!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #17 
Livelifelaughlove

Hey Vegan, where abouts do you live? if You live kinda near by i will take one or two... Im over on the Oregon coast. I know that a 3lb package from the east coast is going to be $50 overnight, can't afford that though. Let me know approx.

If i can i would be glad to help... though my mom may not be stoked... oh well...

and good luck! I am pretty sure that if you really want to stop it you could call the animal shelter/rights place near you and see if they can do anything. it is techinically abuse in my opinion at least.

And i would take the goldfish, but i don't have a big enough tank to take care of them, sorry
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #18 
Nataku

Anyone ever watch the show Animal Cops on Animal Planet? I'd rather consider it something like 'gross negligence' if we were assigning charges for what to call this experiment, but no one ever seems to assign animal rights to fish. Oh yes, dogs, cats, brids, horses... they all get rights... but not fish. Fish can't scream, so apparently they don't get rights.

The tanks may be under the normally recomended minimum 2.5 gallons, but these are, as you say, just temporary housing. Besides, anything is better than being stuck in 1.5 liters of water with two goldfish! Honestly, I'm not eave sure how that is supposed to work, I mean, a 2 liter bottle of soda isn't big at all, and they want three fish that are pretty good sized in less that that? Are they even gonna' fit? 0__o;;;
Smaller tanks are also generally used for quarantine tanks, simply because it's easier to administer meds on a small scale like that. The dosage is much smaller on a 1 gallon than a 10 gallon, which will make your meds go a long way. Something that it sounds like you'll need, as I'm betting a lot of these fish will be ill.

I'm glad I could help you save some money, as this is certainly an endeavor which deserves help. I wish I was closer and could volunteer to take on some of the tanks and water changes to nurse these fish back myself, but I'm nowhere near close enough for that.
What else is still on your list of things you may be needing for these guys? Many years ago I took marine science classes in my high school and we quickly became the kings and queens of being thrifty but effective fish keepers since the school cut all funding for the class (the water? Why would anyone care about anything in the water? You don't need to know about that *cuts budget and gives it to football team*). If there's still some specific departments you may be running short on, I may be able to dredge up some of my old notes on some topics to see if any of them are useful for this.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

You took marine science in high school? Thats pretty cool. I always hated science. Wish I'd paid more attention now. lol
Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 PM   #20 
veganchick

I live right next to KC MO, it would be about $10 for a 2lb package, to somewhere near you, (so I wouldn't suspect over $15) that is about the weight they will be. :) hmmm I still need I filter for my large goldfish tub and tanks(one is 20g, one is 35) Oh, and I will need to get some hydrogen peroxide and aqaurium salt... that should be just about it!