Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Question Re-doing Tank

Hello there. Now that Pigg has another bout of fin rot going, I'm getting angry at the tank. I know that it's mainly my fault that he keeps getting it since I won't give him a filter (it ruins his fins more and every filter I've gotten in too strong) and I do twice weekly WC, so I'm thinking one reason he keeps getting them is because I have these pebbles at the bottom of his tank that are absolutely horrible to clean and I can't get a vacuum in them because their larger. I'm wanting to take out the plants and fish, empty the tank, completely scrub it down and rid it of algae and poop, put in fresh gravel and redecorate, add some of their old water back in and finally let it sit overnight with Atlas floating in his cup while I do a lot of water testing.

Right now my parameters are what they should be (Ammonia and Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm, pH 8) and I don't want to screw that up royally, but I'm willing to recycle if necessary. I'll be getting new plants too, and a new hood, as I wrecked the hood and light holding things so the lighting is awful for my plants (also some new lights).

Sorry if this is all over the place. Does this seem do-able or should I forget about it?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 
LizbethDawn

What size is your tank that a filter messes up his fins so bad? It might be that he keeps getting rot because you need to do more water changes or add a larger water change in there if it's a smaller tank.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #3 
Lamb

I would think that there is beneficial bacteria on the substrate. But if you want to change it, I say go for it and see if it works better. or take everything out, scrub the tank, and add back a little bit of the pebbles then whatever substrate you decide on. At least that way there's something left. Or save 25% of the water and do what you wanted, then add the old water with the new. Maybe that will avoid having to recycle! I hope you find what works!
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #4 
Elsewhere

I have a ten gallon split, so five gallons each. If I put any kind of filter on Atlas or Pigg's side, they freak out at the current and the sucking in of the filter. I've done literally everything to baffle it or put sponges over the sucking in part, and have tried a lot of different filters and none work.

Lamb, I like the idea with adding in a bit of the pebbles and some water. I had been thinking of that, and I think that may be the way to go :)

Oh, and Lizbeth, I do a 25% change on Wednesdays and a 35% change with gravel vacuum on Sundays. I can't do 100% changes frequently because it has plants that I don't want to kill, but I do 100% changes maybe once or twice a year when the algae really builds up because of my crappy lights.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #5 
Lamb

I hope you get this figured out! I would think if it's divided and it's the bacteria that's the problem that both would be experiencing issues? Or he's just a little sensitive. Have you thought of isolating him for a little to see if that in fact works?
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #6 
Elsewhere

Atlas is just fine, his fins are a little curled and he ripped them on a castle when I first got him, but he is otherwise fine. Pigg had some fin rot problems because he was my first boy and I didn't know how to care for him for about seven months. He's currently in my little 2.5g hospital tank undergoing some AQ Salt treatment and his fins are looking much better... I think he's just sensitive. I already blame myself for him getting it again, because I know he's sensitive, but since Atlas is just fine I've been wondering lately if he has a low immune system or is prone to it... Off to do more research!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

Elsewhere, you could try a spongefilter on either side. it'll help with the water quality, but there isn't much current to damage your boys' fins.

i also have used a tetra whisper i3. It hooks into an airline, and doesn't create much current. Never had fin troubles with it either. You could hook up one on either side. It'll give you 6 gals of filtration, one big air pump and a splitter should cover both of them.

(this is my favorite betta filter)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #8 
Elsewhere

I can never find any sponge filters where I live... Do you know if PetSmart sells them, Skyewillow? And what they look like, so I can find one that will actually work? And I'll also look into the 3i, it looks promising!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #9 
LizbethDawn

In a 10 gallon that sounds like he's just sensitive. I've got a split 5 gallon that has a filter and it's my delta that's on the side with the filter and he's a happy camper.

Personally I would get him in his own smaller tank if it continues so you can cater to his needs and save some stress for both of you.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
I can never find any sponge filters where I live... Do you know if PetSmart sells them, Skyewillow? And what they look like, so I can find one that will actually work? And I'll also look into the 3i, it looks promising!
if you can't find them, a lot of people make their own! ^_^

I googled it to make sure that DIY tutorials were easy to find, there's 2-3 youtube videos out there.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote