Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What do you do with a dead fish?
Flush it down the toilet. 26 56.52%
Bury it in the backyard. 14 30.43%
Throw it in the trash. 6 13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #41 
Chicklet

Think I'm gonna down size my Betta's big time,
To bad some of you didn't live closer I'd give you all a bunch.
But I lived where it seems none of you all do,

So I guess I'll have to find other outlets,

Nah, I don't think I'll flush them, someone will take em i'm sure.

Guess I'll Have to sell em to my usual fish store
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #42 
dramaqueen
Banned

Too bad I don't live closer so I could take some.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #43 
MarieBettaMom

I have no idea what I'd do and I don't even want to think about the fact that they'll die (since I've only had George for one week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
I took a dead male guppy the other day and put it in a small bowl with salt and it came back to life...
Wow! I'll have to remember that trick. Did you use regular salt? Iodized salt? How much salt?

I didn't know we could put salt into the water for freshwater fish. I love it here, I'm always learning something now.
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #44 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, you can use aquarium salt in their water but be careful not to add too much. I forget how much per gallon.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #45 
Chicklet

Quote:
Wow! I'll have to remember that trick. Did you use regular salt? Iodized salt? How much salt?

I didn't know we could put salt into the water for freshwater fish.
Aquarium salt.
I use it in all my fresh water fish tanks now, 1 tbsp per 10 gallons water
or 1 tsp per gallon

The dead one went into a very small amount of water, guess about a cup of water, to probably close to a tbsp of aquarium salt, Something like that, anyways he's still alive today and feeling super fine,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #46 
MarieBettaMom

I'll have to remember to look for Aquarium Salt next time I pop over to the pet store. I take it this salt is a good preventative measure.

Sholud I also pick up some medicines to have on hand? Or just wait until fish get sick?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #47 
Nataku

I keep a standing stock of medicines for my fish (in addition to salt, I do believe salt does more in preventing disease (with the addition of clean water) more than anything else does). It's never a good idea to wait until a fish gets sick because you may not always be able to run to a store to get what you need. Or the store may be out (that's happened to me on more than one occasion). Or closed - are the fish stores in your area open around midnight? Because they aren't around here, and I spend as much time home around my fish in the middle of the night as I do any other time because of work.

Am I suggesting you go to your LFS and go buy out their entire med-shelf right now? No, not at all xD It's one thing to be prepared, another to be ridiculously overstocked. A couple basics will cover the majority of what you will run into in the common household aquarium.
Aquarium Salt - Salt. Yes, it works. I use it at 1 tsp per gallon after waterchanges (since salt does not evaporate out, you only add more after a waterchange). If you have nothing else, get this. It is a great preventative and while not as successful as a combination of Quick Cure and salt, the salt on its own can help treat a mild case of ich.
Quick Cure - contains formalin and malachite green. I use this stuff for ich and pretty much any parasite I can shake a magnifying glass at. WARNING: This stuff will stain like there is no tomorrow. Do not get it on your hands or your clothes, it does not come off.
Aquarisol - has copper sulfate. Good for bacterial infections as well as ich (I prefer Quick Cure for ich outbreaks, but this stuff is a handy preventative). I add a drop a gallon at waterchanges as a preventative measure (in addition to salt) and so far it has treated me well in that the only ich outbreaks I've had have been on fish fresh from the store.
Jungle Labs Fungus Elliminator - For fungal infections. The bottle touts it can deal with parasites and bacteria too, but I'll say it's best success is with fungus. Contains, well, basically a bunch of salts xD (sodium chloride, nitrofurazone, furazolidone and potassium dichromate). The furazolidone and potassium dichromate's the handy stuff, but we're not getting into a chemistry lab here.

Those basic fours things right there will prevent and treat pretty much anything you're going to run across unless you've got some really nasty special bug in your tank (at which point in time your fish is either already dead, or hey, we've got a help forum here, come ask us). There's some other handy things I keep around like tetracycline, metronidazole, pennicillin, and fluke tabs, but for the vast majority, you will never need to break out anything like this in the standard care of your fish.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #48 
MarieBettaMom

Thank you so much for the Medicine Cabinet List. I'll start with the Aquarium Salt, and see whether my store caries the other 3 items.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #49 
studioskim3

I prefer not to bury in my area b/c there are stray cats... but I would like to... but b/c i can't... I let them go in the large white bowl that drains down to someplace I don't want to know... to think that my babies are floating down that filthy area makes me sad b/c they deserve better... but I rather that they float rather than be eaten by a cat :(... never threw them in the trash... cuz they're NOT trash! :( its so sad... my friends and family think I'm silly for liking a fish, but whats wrong w/ those slimy creatures? they have personalities too!
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #50 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats why I don't bury mine, besides the fact that I have no real yard. There are too many animals that can dig them up. I agree studioskim, they aren't trash! Thanks for the list of meds, Nataku!