Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What do you do with a dead fish?
Flush it down the toilet. 26 56.52%
Bury it in the backyard. 14 30.43%
Throw it in the trash. 6 13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #51 
Indefinitive

Wilson died this morning. I just woke up, and he was on the bottom, on his side, not a breath of movement.

I think it might have been my fault. His water temperature was much too high, because I put a small heater in his tank. It was at 89 when I got home from work (!!!!), and so I decided to take out some tank water, mix in some cold, conditioned water, and pour it back in. Looks like it was too much for the little guy.

Edit: I was wrong. Cause of death is unknown. Apparently he made it through the night. My boyfriend checked on him this morning, and he was swimming happily when he left 5 hours ago.

Edit again: Is it weird that I cried over this, or is that just a result of PMS? My friend was like, "He's only a fish, don't cry!" and I realized that it sounded weird, me crying over a fish that I've owned for two days.

Last edited by Indefinitive; 04-30-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #52 
whitedevil

I put em in a bag with a little tap water so it freezes solid, put em in the freezer till trash day then take em to the trash. Its a carcass thats all, nothing more after the personality dies.

I have buried fish before that were too big for the freezer.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #53 
whitedevil

You arent supposed to flush them, water reclamation plants ring a bell? it comes back to you, and the toxins that they release are worse then a healthy human sit down.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #54 
Chicklet

Quote:
Is it weird that I cried over this, or is that just a result of PMS? My friend was like, "He's only a fish, don't cry!" and I realized that it sounded weird, me crying over a fish that I've owned for two days.
Not weird at all, least not to me, I cried when my tank full of guppies got fried, Had a hard time talking to the lady at the LFS about it without choking up....
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #55 
whitedevil

They are pets, its normal to do feel some sort of loss, however they are just fish and they are still food to humans. and cats and dogs and birds and reptiles,bears, ect.

My wife however, she would break down and cry and mourn the loss for days, shes more sensitive then I am I guess.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #56 
dramaqueen
Banned

There is nothing wrong with mourning the death of a pet that you really loved. And to most of us, its not "just a fish". Its a living, breathing animal that we have interacted with, taken care of and loved.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote