Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #1 
snowflake311

Dividers clear or no view?

I am going to make acrylic dividers for my tanks. I was thinking of going with clear or should I go with black translucent?

Is it better to keep them from seeing each other all the time? If you have breeders do you want them always flaring at each other or is it better to keep them separated?

Thanks,
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #2 
Namialus

I think non-clear would be better. The constant flaring might stress them out.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Breeders are better when they can't see anyone. That's why most breeders will isolate the fish during conditioning, besides 5-10 minutes a day with the female in view.

I personally enjoy watching my males in divided tanks interact with each other. After about two weeks they aren't aggressive towards one another and just communicate through the divider.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #4 
RobertTheFish

I've not tried it but, from what I know from being around animals all my life, my gut says translucent or even opaque. Your mileage may vary.

I know they seem cute and harmless when solitary, but when bettas see each other they become very macho, territorial creatures and I think the flaring would stress them.

IF you go clear, please make sure it's heavily planted all around the divider so they don't see each other "much".
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #5 
snowflake311

The tank has lots of plants. I made my dividers today out of clear acrylic. I think it would be better to paint them black. I think if they don't see the other fish they would be a bit less likely to jump the fence too....

I also will be keeping a breeder in the tank and want him to be his best.

So My dividers are cut I am not bidding on another female.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote