Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

I walked in one morning, and my betta was upside down.... I freaked.... Then he freaked.... And I realized that he'd been asleep. It took both of us a couple of hours to settle down.

(Yeah, my betta sleeps belly-up in the middle of the water. Doesn't everyone's? )

It sounds like your guy may have been sleeping.... (But at least yours wasn't upside down.) I agree with what everyone else has said. Just keep an eye on him....

Is there anything that's *different* about him now that he's awake? You mentioned his eye. Does is look different now, from how it usually looks?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #12 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
I walked in one morning, and my betta was upside down.... I freaked.... Then he freaked.... And I realized that he'd been asleep. It took both of us a couple of hours to settle down.

(Yeah, my betta sleeps belly-up in the middle of the water. Doesn't everyone's? )
My male sleeps on his side completely motionless at the bottom of his tank, just laying there on the rocks, out in the open (when he's feeling well, otherwise he's hiding somewhere and I can't always find him). Sometimes it's so motionless, I stare at him awhile to make sure his gills are moving, then he realizes I'm watching him and his eyes move and he bolts up for air and gives me a good scare.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyJumper101 View Post
its been so hot here! his tank is at 81 still but i think it is only that high because i just changed the water. still worried about him. went to pets unlimited the day i got him hoping that they would have a filter to fit my tank and they had none in stock (of course). they said to come back on tuesday as they may have some in stock by then. will do the 2- 50% water changes as you said!

I don't want to destruct you from LittleBlueFishlets questions , please check her questions they are important to understand what going on with your little friend.
I just want to add something to my advice. 3 gall tank you really don't have to buy a filter. Just keep up with water changes 2-50% and 1-100% a week. You really need to acclimate him to the new water though when you do full water change. Also since you never did full water change, how i understand do 2- 50% water changes day a part , and another 50 % following day . Then day 5 you can make full water change.
I am not as experience as LittleBlueFishlets so follow her advice if she will say otherwise.

LittleBlueFishlets if you agree with me, would you please give acclimation instructions? I keep posting the instructions that i just copy from another thread . Is there another way to acclimate? There is a few of them
1. can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature:)

2. Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7,
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #14 
PonyJumper101

hello everybody! just an update on Fiji, he seems to be completely back to normal. greeted me this morning and swam around unpatiently waiting to be fed. his pupils are not small anymore and they look normal. he is very active! slowly introduced light to my room this morning lol...must've just scared him yesterday and put him in some kind of shock. thank you everybody!
PonyJumper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #15 
PonyJumper101

also with the filter for my tank...i have had this tank for over 3 years now and it originally came with a filter! about a year ago i had bought a Fluval Chi tank (don't get them, they suck!!!) and had used that as my tank. The Fluval Chi's filter didn't seem to be doing the job so i added my older filter to it. Once my betta fish of 3 years died, i had sold the Fluval Chi and everything that came with it (including the extra filter). That is the story of my current tank's filter! Going to drop into a different pet store today to see if they have any. Would love to have a filter in Fiji's tank just to keep it cleaner. :)
PonyJumper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

PonyJumper101 - I'm glad he's back to normal!

Anhel - It looks like your 2nd water change instructions came from one of my posts. Here's what I generally post:

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #17 
ANHEL123

Well if you going to use the filter then just do 2-50 % weekly water changes . And rinse/swish the filter media once a week in the tank water. I guess you know what to do if your fish was 3 years old. Well i kind of don't think it old but still older than a lot of people have.
It just a lot of people including me don't like to cycle less then 5 gall tank. And if you not cycle you can do full water changes. But since you saying that you already did it before then you know what you doing. Just really would recommend to do more water changes and like i mentioned about filter media care.
Oh it nice that he is back to his normal;) Check out the link
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote