Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #1 
Danski

Exclamation I fear my betta is dying!!

Hi guys, im really worried about my betta. Ive been away for a couple of days and returned to find my Crowntail lying on the bottom amongst some silk plants. (dw I used time-released auto-feeder while away!) His stomach has inflated quite drastically and where it has, it appears he has either lost a heck of a lot of scales, or, the skin beneath has stretched leaving huge white areas between the spread scales. This appears more prominent on his right side but is visable on both sides. He wont flare, isn't interested in my finger at all and wont even move out from the silk plant he's resting in, except to gobble some air and then he returns back to the same spot and remains lethargic. He's in a happy community tank and all his co-inhabitants seem to be in fine health.

Housing
What size is your tank? 30 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 29 celcius
Does your tank have a filter? built in sponge filter supplied with tank (Juwel Rekord 800)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? 12" airwall stone
Is your tank heated? built in heater tube
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2x Medium Angels, 2x Columbian Tetra, 6x Penguin Tetra, 3x Corydoras, 1x Common Pleco

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? King British Fish Flake, Aquarian Fish Flake, Bloodworm and Brineshrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once Daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: unsure as using tetra 6-1 test this isn't present
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 8d
Alkalinity: isn't this the same as pH (ie low pH high alkalinity)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Doing weekly water change now
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none
How old is your fish (approximately)? ive had him 6 months atleast and he was very small when I got him

Unable to post a picture right now, don't have wire for my phone, hopefully get a pic up later today if I can borrow a friends wire or buy 1.
My betta was the final addition in my tank and apart from a short lived 'sulk' at the start he has been in perfect health, up to now. He gets on fine with his co-inhabitants and vice versa and has always seemed a happy fish!! please, please help him :)

Thanks

Last edited by Danski; 07-15-2013 at 03:59 AM. Reason: missed info
Danski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

A pic would help alot if you can get one.

I'm thinking maybe he ate to much of that food you put in there? I would remove him into his own tank - bare bottom - and fast him for a few days with 1 teaspoon of PLAIN epsom salt/gallon. If he ate too much or is constipated - this will help get things moving again. Also keep an eye out for his poops. They should be brown swirls. If they are white or stringy - he may have internal parasites.

PS - the common pleco is going to get HUGE
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #3 
Danski

Hi, thanks for replying, ive took your advice.. I bought a new 20 litre bucket and hes in there with an airstone and heater atm, half tank water half treated tap water. ive just put a small silk plant in there for him and hes moved off the bottom to rest near the top of the plant. He's still very lethargic, Im going to fast him and get some salt tomorrow.

Lol yeah ive noticed, he was about 1.5inch when I got him and he must be 8inches in length now. When he gets bigger my friends going to have him and im going to get a dwarf species.

Thanks again for your reply, i'll keep you posted :)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Glad you've got him QT'd. I'd definitely fast him for 2-3 days & maybe use some Epsom salt to help the bloating & possible constipation. Additionally if your nitrites are really at 1 you need to do at a minimum a 50% water change. Nitrites are dangerous & this could be part of the problem. Is the 30g new? Either yor tank hasn't fully cycled or you've done something recently that has caused it to lose its cycle. Either way that needs to be addressed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #5 
Danski

Hi, had a friend round this afternoon who said it could be parasitic, he said to try the Epsom first though, so ive treated both the tank and the QT'd betta with the Epsom salt now and will continue for 5 days with 10% water changes also. Still havnt fed the betta he hasn't pooped much but what he has seems normal. going to continuing fasting for 2 more days and see what happens.

As for the nitrates the only thing ive changed really is the filter sponges, havnt added any decor or anything to the tank in months. I soaked the filter sponges in a bucket of tank water for 2-3 hours then swapped them. Before that I removed the carbon sponge and treated the tank for white spot as one of my Columbian tetra caught it, but hes recovered well.

Last edited by Danski; 07-16-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

If you swapped out the filter sponges, you may of lost alot of the bacteria you want to keep. Are they actual sponge filters that run off the airpumps or are they sponges that go into a power filter? Most of the bacterial will love in the filter media but there will also be some on the tank decor/walls ect. Some people say that changing filter media wont do anything to the cycle but others say if you remove the filter media and replace it with new - you will either loose the cycle or you will get mini cycles.

As for plecos - there are a few species that stay small- clown plecos, bristlenose plecos and I think rubberlip plecos stay under 5 inches. Not all eat algae though - some need to have wood in their diet.

If it is internal parasites - epsom should help with that as well, but I think you need to treat with medication to fully remove them. I make my own anti parasite pellets using jungle parasite clear and adding in pellets. Let them soak for 15 minutes or so with the medication and then remove. They will be soggy so I take a glass and put strong paper towel over the opening and dump the water/pellets onto the paper towel. That way the water will go through the towel leaving the pellets on the paper to dry. You can also soak in API general cure but jungle's fizzy tabs seem to work alot better...

another option is - he could have a tumor.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #7 
Danski

Hey again guys, sorry for such a delayed response, had technical issues with pc so been offline since the 18th

Ok, so firstly, Tiki, im not sure what sort of filter system it is really, maybe if I describe it you'll understand

I have a black rectangular tube in the corner, within it is 3 compartments, the first houses the heater, second houses the pump and third houses the sponges. The container has 'vents' near the top and a hole in the lid (water level just about exceeds this level) from this I presumed it was a gravity fed system with the pump sucking out water from the bottom of the container. If my description hasn't been helpful, please see 'Juwel Rekord 800' tank spec online for more info as the filtration came provided.

Secondly, there has been no change in the betta's condition, he remains QT'd. He hasn't lost size or gained it. I've completed a fasting, an Epsom salt treatment and a parasitic treatment a friend provided for me which involved soaking pellets in a similar method to the one Tiki mentioned. Not sure of the treatments name as it was in an unlabelled bottle. But, the friend who provided it has been keeping both tropical and marine tanks for a few years so I respect his judgement, and he assured me if it was parasitic this treatment would work. He's still very lethargic but he's still interested in food and during feeding was the only time I saw him active. Another thing ive noticed more recently is his fins appear to be deteriorating also.

Now, my friend believes as Tiki said the only other thing it may be is a Tumor and that I should euphanise him. I don't have a problem in doing this, but I just wanted to get any last opinions before I do, I always hate to see any animal go and would like to try any other suggestions first.

I appreciate all the responses ive received already. Many thanks for your time!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #8 
Danski

P.S.
latest test results from community tank...

Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 8d

all inhabitants still appear very healthy and happy!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #9 
Danski

hi guys, update on the betta...

I got up this morning to find in addition to his bloated state, he now has what I can only describe as a bubble which appears to be full of liquid. on discovery I decided to remove him from the bucket and put him in a clear tall glass while I inspected him. it appears his scales are now raised all around this area! ive text my friend and im waiting for a reply but hes likely at work until this evening so if anyone can get back to me sooner I would really appreciate it as I don't think its a tumor.

thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

A picture would really help.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta illness, inflamation, lethargic betta, scale loss