Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #1 
shroomer

reflections

hey guys i floated skye in a big ziploc bag today with it open for about 50 minutes then let him in his new 10 gallon tank, he seems to be up against the glass alot and flared like he is see his relection, i doint have any cash flow for new lightbulbs so i have a worm like shinning down through the big feeding hole. i would under stant if light causes him to see his reflection but he is still flared alot when its off too. he also tends to hide beside, behind or under the filter (i havea whisper i10), im thinking maybe the current is too strong should i get a i3 or somthing even tho its a 10 gallon. any idea how to get him to stop flaring? there is one of those scenic mats around the back and he still looks at the glass on the back and flares, like he looks badass flared but i dont want him to always be stressin what can i do?
shroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #2 
fishyinpa

The flow could be too strong for him. My sister has the i10 in her tank and had to make a buffer because of that. Is he in a room that gets natural daylight? I have a betta in a 10 gallon who gets natural daylight plus a regular ol lamp light at night for several hours. No need to buy him a special light unless he is in a room with no windows.

You could buy/make a background for the tank so he wont go nuts flaring at himself all day. Of course when they first move in they will do that for awhile. I dunno what you have in your tank,but you should have some kinda cave and lots of plants. I use fake silk plants. My bettas love to rest and hide in them. good luck!!!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #3 
shroomer

hey thanks for responding, i quickly searched the forums b4 posting that but didnt find anything definate, um im gonna give him a couple days to adjust, i have plastic plants but nun with anything poky any more so his fins dont tears, i have a post in the habitat section u can see my plants/ aquarium.

as for light, he was in the living room on the main floor b4 which has a big sliding door and is a fairly open space. now he is in my bedroom. it has a larg window, he is on a the wall like this t= tank ww= window

|
|
t|
_WW_______|

there is a background thing on the back of his tank yet he was still flaring at it. im not sure im going to give him a couple days and see how he is doing. after i get a job and wait maybe 2 months so skye can fully adjust, im considering putting a divider in and getting another betta, a crown tail or half moon, either that or i may get some cories to put in with him. there were a cool comunity fish at big al's that im wondering it it would go good.

i have a job interview at an outlet store beside big als tomorrow so i will go and get the name of this fish so you can find a picture, they are black with a little bit of white, but they have a very unique fin / method of tranport
shroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with your job interview.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #5 
fishyinpa

No problem! Oh okay,ill have to go check out your tank over there then. Either way sounds good! Plenty of room for two bettas in a 10 with a divider of course (like ya said). Or some cories!! I have 6 and i love them. I heard they do well with bettas,but i havent tried yet. You have more options with a 10 so good luck looking!! I would stay away from tetras,they tend to be fin nippers. I dunno about other kinds though.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote