Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #1 
TfromTexas

To Die or Not to Die

My poor boy, Hendrix, has been sick for several months. I have done everything I can. I've QT'd him for peace and quiet, I've treated him for ick and just about every other fish disease that sounded like he could have, I've changed his water every three days, then every day, now back to every three days, I've fasted him for two and three days, I've put frozen peas in his water. Symptoms that he is having leads me to believe he has swim bladder disease. I have him in a small amount of water so he doesn't have to struggle to the top to get a puff of air and I feed him two pellets every other day. Yes, he still eats and poops. My question is this:

He is on my desk here in my office. I have two more boys besides Hendrix. One named Edgar and the other named Earl. Everyone loves my fish but they freak out and tell me that Hendrix is dead. So I have to go through my whole story about how I've googled all this info and he's ok and until he is belly up, I just can't kill him... or can I???

Is it inhumane to have him in this small water bowl, scraping the bottom of the bowl, struggling to get air and eat? It's hard to watch him eat. I'll drop a pellet in and he will look and look at it and then lunge towards it. if he misses, he has to circle around and get a better angle and try again. I think what kind of life is this? My other two are swimming around and loving life and poor old Hendrix just lays there on his side. . . Tell me, would you put him to sleep or let him live out his days? Thanks
TfromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #2 
roypattonphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TfromTexas View Post
My poor boy, Hendrix, has been sick for several months. I have done everything I can. I've QT'd him for peace and quiet, I've treated him for ick and just about every other fish disease that sounded like he could have, I've changed his water every three days, then every day, now back to every three days, I've fasted him for two and three days, I've put frozen peas in his water. Symptoms that he is having leads me to believe he has swim bladder disease. I have him in a small amount of water so he doesn't have to struggle to the top to get a puff of air and I feed him two pellets every other day. Yes, he still eats and poops. My question is this:

He is on my desk here in my office. I have two more boys besides Hendrix. One named Edgar and the other named Earl. Everyone loves my fish but they freak out and tell me that Hendrix is dead. So I have to go through my whole story about how I've googled all this info and he's ok and until he is belly up, I just can't kill him... or can I???

Is it inhumane to have him in this small water bowl, scraping the bottom of the bowl, struggling to get air and eat? It's hard to watch him eat. I'll drop a pellet in and he will look and look at it and then lunge towards it. if he misses, he has to circle around and get a better angle and try again. I think what kind of life is this? My other two are swimming around and loving life and poor old Hendrix just lays there on his side. . . Tell me, would you put him to sleep or let him live out his days? Thanks

need more info

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #3 
tokala

Is he still being treated with some kind of medication? If so, you might just try fresh water. My betta has been sick on and off for a while, and I think I had been over treating him. They can become toxic when exposed to too many medications for too long. My boy has been on just fresh water for the last couple days and is already perking up and acting better than he has in a long time. Still some signs of illness (clamped fins) but much much better. You could also try IAL, as it has medicinal properties but isn't toxic to the fish.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #4 
TfromTexas

To Die or Not to Die

I stopped treating him with meds over a month ago because they didn't seem to do anything to him. I use room temperature distilled water. Hendrix is about 3 years old and never had problems before. I guess the best thing to do is like I keep saying, until I come to work and he is belly up, I'll keep on trucking on wif my hippy boy.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #5 
tokala

Quote:
I stopped treating him with meds over a month ago because they didn't seem to do anything to him. I use room temperature distilled water. Hendrix is about 3 years old and never had problems before. I guess the best thing to do is like I keep saying, until I come to work and he is belly up, I'll keep on trucking on wif my hippy boy.
Well, I am no expert so hopefully someone else will chime in- but I know that in the long run it is pretty unhealthy to use distilled water since it lacks trace elements and minerals fish need and absorb through their skin. I would switch to bottled water or dechlorinated tap water. Also, there is a good chance that room temp water is too cold for him. Since water is actually 5-6 degrees colder than the air around it, you would have to be in an 85ish degree environment for the temp to be right... talk about burning up! When bettas are too cold, it lowers there immune system and they can't fight off illness as easily. Perhaps investing in a good heater and switching water will save the little guy! Good luck and keep us posted :)
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #6 
TfromTexas

wow, they told me at the WAL-MART where i got my fish to use distilled water as it was better for them. dang them . . .
I will certainly check into getting them what they need to get up to par. I love them so much!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #7 
tokala

Quote:
wow, they told me at the WAL-MART where i got my fish to use distilled water as it was better for them. dang them . . .
I will certainly check into getting them what they need to get up to par. I love them so much!
You are soooo not alone on that! I remember way back in the day when I was in the dorms, my roomie had a betta and they told her the same thing. In some ways, it makes sense because you figure it's gotta be safe! But alas, such is not the case :) getting his temp up to 78-82 degrees would make him feel a lot better too- good for you for caring about your fish :)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #8 
vaygirl

If the lack of distilled water doesn't work, you could try Kanaplex. It's an antibiotic that I used when Tango had very bad SBD. He was sick for weeks. I got it at Amazon.com. You won't find it locally, usually. For me it was a last ditch effort to save him after I'd tried many other things. It's your call whether you want to medicate or not. I wish you luck! :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #9 
LolaQuigs

Heated, dechlorinated tap water is best. What makes you suspect sbd? Is he having buoyancy problems?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote