Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 
thatgirl

Fuzz on anus *pictures*

I just got home from work and went to look at him as usual and there's this fuzz-type ball thing on his anus. :/ You know how sometimes you can see the clear algae on the tank decorations? Well, it looks like that, but on is bum, and it's round.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? 79-82 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 ghost shrimp.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets each morning. Blood worms every once in awhile. Fasting day each week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% and One 100% a week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:No.
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment- Little fuzz ball on his anus. :/
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It's the same, just the fuzz on his bum.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He spends a lot of time on his leaf hammock, but I just got it. Other than that, nothing.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 6 months (not including how long he was in the pet store)

These aren't the best pictures at all, but they are the best that I could take. :/

Picture 1: You'll see a cloudy ball in the center of the picture by his bum. It's on is anus. :/ Also, he seems to missing scales on the top of his head. What could that be?? And on top of his body, down his spine always seems kinda bumpy. You can kinda see it in this pic.

Picture 2: You'll see it hanging by his pelvic fins. IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE POOP WHEN YOU SEE IT IN PERSON
Attached Images

thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

My guy is going through the same thing. Mine is also bloated (don't know if it is dropsy or not for sure yet). I can't say for sure what he has. What I have been doing is filled a 1 gallon full of water, mixed in Prime, 1tsp of epsom salt and let Indian Almond leaf soak in it. I am treating my betta in a 1/2 gallon tank floating in his divided 10 gallon tank so his water is heated. I change the water everyday with the pre-made mixture. I haven't seen improvement yet but I am hoping for the best. This is day 4 after I change is water tonight. I am still keeping my fingers crossed. I am ready to get home from work to see what state he is in now. Someone may have another suggestion for you but they haven't said anything different (or at all really) in the thread I posted about my betta (Hornet).

Your guy looks like he could be a touch bloated (??) so you could follow what I am doing. I don't think it would harm anything anyway. I really hope your guy gets better quick!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #3 
thatgirl

Thanks for your advice! I had a dream last night that he had dropsy. :( I hope your fishy gets better too.
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote