Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #1 
lailamar

who can live with betta.... list of fish do/don'ts

Found this since I always wanted to know what to do with my lonely betta fish.... i hope this will be of good help to you too...

Some examples of fish to NOT put in with your Betta in the community tank are: guppies, goldfish, angelfish, guaramis, silver dollars, tiger barbs (cherry barbs or o.k.), some of the larger tetras, and, of course; another betta fish.

Some good tank mates for Betta fish are: platy, rasbora, white cloud minnow, plecos, corydoras, plecostomus, neon tetras, oto and cory cats. Of course, you know that you need a heater and filtration in your aquarium for all of the above!

another source says:

Bettas do well with bottom feeders like Cory Cats, Loaches, and Plecos. Bottom feeders will leave the Bettas beautiful fins alone, and do well together. Live bearing fish, like Platies, Mollies, Guppies and Swordtails all make great tank mates for Bettas. Also, Danios, because they are so peaceful, do well with Bettas. Hatchets, Rasboras, and Tetras are great tank mates for Bettas.
There are other fish you can put with Bettas, with caution. Use caution when pairing Bettas with Discus and Gouramis. Also, Killifish tend to be fin nippers, so use caution with them. The same goes for Rainbowfish and Sharks.
There are some fish you should never put in a tank with Bettas. The first fish to avoid are other Bettas. Female Bettas may do all right together, but male Bettas should not be put in tanks with any other of their species. Avoid putting Bettas with goldfish, as goldfish need much cooler water than Bettas. Any fish that need salt in the water are not good matches for Bettas, as the salt is harmful for them
lailamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very good info.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #3 
Haeclark

I LOL at this...

my tank:
15 gal decorated with under gravel filter system / gravel / two filters / heater /
1 fake glow-in-dark plastic grass plant / 1 fake plastic-realistic bush-like plant / 2 silk plants /
1 fake coral reef / 1 rock-plant decoration structure / 4 large river rocks /
1 large gate-cave / 1 small rock-corral-cave /
3 live plants

residents: [reason for my LOL]
over 10 male and female guppies [obtained from previous boss who no longer had time to care for them; free!]
1 unidentified Pleco / sucker fish
*1 male Viel tail Betta
*1 female Crown tail Betta

the only fish "found" dead because of the Betta fish were the baby guppies they enjoy eating [population control ;D ]

*resided together in a 10 gal tank before moved into the 15 gal tank. Only time they ever fought was after 1st time breeding, and when first put together, during feeding time [Blue guarded his feeding floaty]
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #4 
Chicklet

I very much disagree on the salt being harmful part, Have seen to much proof showing salt to be very beneficial ,
but in the right ratio of course.

I put Aquarium salt with all my fish :)

I was also told that putting a very tiny goldfish in every tank acted as an early warning system, as they will be the first to show signs of trouble and allow you to catch it before a disaster strikes..

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-11-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post

I was also told that putting a very tiny goldfish in every tank acted as an early warning system, as they will be the first to show signs of trouble and allow you to catch it before a disaster strikes..
Really???
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #6 
Chicklet

Quote:
Really???
yes really, From a lady that has been running a pet shop out of her basement for over 20 yrs now,
When it comes to fish information she really knows her stuff, Amazing listening to her,
and the stuff she has shown and taught me, You think you know so much then you meet someone like her,

She bought all my betta's and other fish I wanted cleared out, yesterday, We sat and talked for hours,
The best part is shes a close relative and loves to talk shop.... I like to go visit her often and just sit back and watch her operate, Shes amazing and does booming business right in her basement/ Shes one very kewl lady
Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

It would be great to know someone like that. :)
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #8 
Chicklet

I managed to get my fish brought in and before i had them all sat on her counter she had half of them sold on the spot before I even got paid, Wow now thats business.. People was sifting thru them, she musta sold at least 12 before she got to paying me,.... I hung around and watched for a long time,. We managed to get a few mins to sit down and talk before more people came,... She ain't like other pet shops, she will buy or trade whatever you want, and she ain't mean about it either..... Not many pet shops will do that, Think thats a big part of why she does so good.... One lady while I was there brought her two hugh fish & I do mean hugh, one was a catfish type, not sure what the other was, and a whole slew of guppies, traded them for fish food and a Betta,... I suppose it makes it easier for those that have no moneybe to be able to keep their fish...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds like she does a great business. Good for her. :)
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #10 
Red Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
yes really, From a lady that has been running a pet shop out of her basement for over 20 yrs now,
When it comes to fish information she really knows her stuff, Amazing listening to her,
and the stuff she has shown and taught me, You think you know so much then you meet someone like her,

She bought all my betta's and other fish I wanted cleared out, yesterday, We sat and talked for hours,
The best part is shes a close relative and loves to talk shop.... I like to go visit her often and just sit back and watch her operate, Shes amazing and does booming business right in her basement/ Shes one very kewl lady
Ya i have heard this many times too. I have also heard they help establish bacteria levels, though this may not be good for a betta.
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote