Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #51 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I just don't know what FishForum would do without someone as knowledgeable and experienced as yourself providing us with all this wonderful info and links from other fish forums.
! Achievement !
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #52 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfish View Post
the two smaller ones are Shubunkin and the two big ones are Comets this is only until Saturday when I am getting a 33 Gallon tank (in place of the temp. 10 gallon one they had to live in for a few weeks) they make the best out of it Nightfish stays at one end and the other fish stay at the other, no one fights-its all good in there (which is not like aquariums I've had in the past)

nice. ^_^
never heard of them before...had to look them up real quick...but looks like an interesting setup :)
Sounds like you chose some peaceful fish "this time around" ;D
________

as for matter of separating my boy from my girls...dont think I will just because others are close minded about the subject. I actually did separate Blue Bandit from Red Petite Mermaid before I got my other 3 gals...but they both became depressed. They are still doing fine in their home...actually are donig better bow that I removed the guppies ["water rabbits"...all they did was breed and steel betta food]

Last edited by Haeclark; 06-05-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #53 
Haeclark

went to petco today to get new light for my tank. As I always do, I stopped to look at the fish. There was one poor cat in distress, upside down in the Cory cat tank...looked like he had a bad case of pop-eye or something doing on :/
told a couple petco employees about it to no avail or concern from their side.
Just shows how much they "care" about the pets they provide. :/
Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #54 
Nightfish

Nightfish got caught in between the little castle and the glass today, found him wedged in there, so had to move the castle and he seemed "bent" for about 10 minutes or so but thankfully, the little fool is okay lol 1 more day until they all move (got the big tank, now I wait for things to settle)
Nightfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #55 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfish View Post
Nightfish got caught in between the little castle and the glass today, found him wedged in there, so had to move the castle and he seemed "bent" for about 10 minutes or so but thankfully, the little fool is okay lol 1 more day until they all move (got the big tank, now I wait for things to settle)
o.O
glade to hear he's doing ok now :)
Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #56 
Freak Fin

Not an expert on this but I don't think betta fish males, even like seeing other betta fish males. To me they are happy when they make bubbles :) I have 2 bettas, in 2 seperate 1 gallon bowls, and put a divider in between them. I also do this so that they don't get use to each other, so when I remove the divider, they get mad at each other and flare up, and they look pretty getting all mad!

Also I don't think bettas like reflective glass marbles, where they can see themselves in... I think it makes them antsy thinking theres other bettas in their bowl!
Freak Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #57 
dramaqueen
Banned

2 males should never be put together.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #58 
Horseluver50

I have found that male bettas get along with lots of fish... such as.... guppies, gouramis, mollies, platies, female bettas, angelfish..etc

The types of fish that are fin nippers, are... tetras (really bad), some gouramis, some angelfish, etc.

Lots of times, it is the certain fish... they are all diff personalities..

I learnt this from past experiences.
Horseluver50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #59 
Haeclark

thanks for sharing your info Horseluver50 :D
It seems experience is truly the most valuable in many forms of information ;D
That's the only reason I say that not all info stating bettas cant live with one another are necessarily always true and accurate, as mine prove that a false xD
It seems as far as bettas themselves go, females are the most aggressive, as two males together in a small containment. I have heard from successful betta breeders the only successful way to keep 2 or more males together is if theyre related [hatched and grew together] and are on a very large tank...but they also advise any regular "joe" not to do this :/

Freak Fin...you should go visit Betta talk . com where you'll see for yourself from a very successful betta breeder [Faith] that says it is actually healthy for bettas to flair their gills...and if done at another betta, perfectly ok.
Another site [Betta Care sheet & FAQ] also states
Quote:
Bettas...flare when confronted with other bettas or their own reflection...Particularly aggressive bettas will flare at anything, including your face, a pencil, or your coffee mug. Flaring some each day is healthy for your betta, and keeps them entertained. Usually, flaring is not a problem. Some bettas may "blow" their fins, flaring so much that they tear them. If they do so, keep their water especially clean and add a pinch of pre-dissolved aquarium salt to help their fins heal. Other bettas may flare so much that they exhaust themselves. If this is the case, care should be made to reduce stimulus that causes the betta to flare.
note though that Faith reported that she has two males living beside one another, in sperate tanks, that flair at each other all day long...yet are perfeclty healthy.
So I wouldnt worry too much about things like putting a divider between them, not having reflective marbles / rocks, ect ;D I would only be conserned about it if you notice that he dose in fact do it non stop, and is making him worn out.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #60 
Haeclark

On another note...male bettas do not necessarily make bubble nest only when they're happy. It actually has nothing to do with emotions like that at all, aas some male bettas that are pampered better then people never blow them [so Ive read form posts in this forum site]

Quote:
Male bettas blow bubblenests. Some do so more than others. It is not a sign of happiness or sadness whether the betta blows a bubblenest or not. Male bettas blow bubblenests to keep their eggs in until they hatch, and it is a reproductive instinct for them to do so. In tanks with a current, they are less likely to be able to blow bubblenests, as the current will break up the nest if they try to make one.
But it is neat to see them, and if your betta is blowing them, then you must be doing something right ;D