Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #1 
TGIF

Live Mosquito larvae....

I live in FL, and there are mosquitoes EVERYWHERE. However, that also means a lot of larvae.... and fishy heaven. I have 15 in the house, 11 are bettas. The 4 goldfish go nuts over them, and they are like sharks, swooping in 2 and going through the cloud of larvae.
It's so much fun to see them go nuts over the "wiggling" food! In my sorority, red fishy (quite imaginative name, hm?) swoops down at the bottom and picks them all up. The males chase them everywhere, then beg for more XD
Does anyone else love seeing their fish eat these kinds of things?
TGIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 
Lamb

I LOVE watching my boys eat them! I'm using them in addition to daphnia to condition my betta for breeding. I always feed them the larvae when they are new arrivals to get them to perk up a bit. Can't beat free food! :D
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #3 
TGIF

Ooh... i'll try that with my newest fish i'll hopefully get on Sat. I haven't met a fish that didn't like them yet.... XD
I went out again and got some more, for my sorority, and they were hanging out at the top and when I put the larvae in a few seconds later.. poof... there were 6 shiny fishies at the bottom gulping down larvae :D
TGIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #4 
Lamb

Lol. That's great! I have to jar the females I'm conditioning to feed it to them, otherwise the filter seems to get most of the larvae. Don't mosquitoes flying around my house!

It's really made a difference when they first arrive I think. They seem to settle in more quickly when they're given great live food.
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote