Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Updates on Reuben

This thread is created so I don't continuously clog the coffeehouse chat with pictures of him. LOL

For those who don't know. I had a crowntail betta dubbed Spike. He lived quite a few years. Was a tail biter. But otherwise was quite a happy and healthy betta. 1 day he just kicked the bucket. Unclear as to why he did, no visible signs of illness.
I did a 100% water change of the tank and went to find the next lucky guy for my 5.5 gallon. This was a double tail dubbed GoJo(my husband's idea). Here's where the difficulty came, my tank was suddenly getting readings of atleast 2ppm ammonia. Even when fish-in cycling my tank, no more than .50 ammonia would read in 1 week. These readings were appearing everyday! And everyday I was doing 95% water changes and dosing with Prime. Despite my best efforts, GoJo passed.

After that mess, I decided to re-cycle my tank. I dosed it was pure ammonia and left it to it's own for a month-ish, testing about 3 times a week. The tank finally cycled yesterday(likely a day or so earlier. So I bribed hubby and went to PetsMart for 1 lucky guy. I had a tough choice between this guy and a blind betta. I couldn't leave both of them. Called my BFF and she said she'll take the blind betta. He's in a 2.5 gallon at her house and she is as experienced as I am with bettas.

So Rebuen is a VT, it appears he MAYBE a spade tail, but I will not be able to fully tell until he is fully healed. All of his fins appear to be melted a bit. He also appeared to have some fungus and fin damage. He was so unhappy in his cup. I gave him 1 drop of Prime and he perked right up!

In the 1st photo, you can see some white or light grey patches on the underside(possibly sides) of his face. These were taken right after he perked up.

Updates coming in next posts....
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 
mybabyjets

i really like his colors
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #3 
FishyFishy89

A few hours in his new tank and his color brightened up and so did his behavior. He started swimming around/playing with his reflection. Watching him flare makes me think(or rather hope) that he will be a spade tail. While watching him, I also noted a split in his tail. However, the split only goes to the white spot in his tail, so I think it's just fin damage.

Reuben is also quite small. His body is approx 1.5"(not including fins). So I hope he grows a bit. He looks so tiny in the 5.5 gallon xD

Reuben is a happy betta - YouTube

Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yay! I already heard about him and he sounds great. My bet is that he's a vt.

Edit- With that flare pic he could be either!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

Now this morning's updates!
I was greeted with an eager Reuben and a bubble nest! In the 1st picture you can see him lurking in the background. Since he has fin damage and possible fungus, I did a 50% water change.

Now, I'm not completely sure he has fungus. It has appeared to gone away quite a bit. I will monitor it for the next coupla days. If it rears it's ugly head again, I have Kordon Rid-Ich Plus(which also treats fungus) to give.

An hour after the WC and he's started rebuilding it LOL
Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

Thanks guys! I do hope he is a spade tail, I've always wanted one. But spade tail or not, he's still uber cute and I love him :)
Old 07-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #7 
FishyFishy89

It's been another hour since Reuben's water change and his bubble nest is getting bigger. He's such a happy fish and I am very proud that I am making him so happy.

I think these white spots are fin damage. It would be awesome if they aren't ;) They're not fuzzy or anything. Just white and a hole in the center of them.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Okay, I've compared some pics of him to google pics of spade tails. His fins are very similar to all the spade tails I've seen. I'm pretty sure I have a spade tail!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Reuben's fins have opened up more. I'm thinking he definitely is a spade tail. The fungus has reared it's ugly head again. I'll be starting treatment today.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #10 
FishyFishy89

Getting started on the WC to add medication and I found a much larger nest!