Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #1 
Evo Jace

New to Bettas....is his tail ok?!?!

his tail looks like is missing a piece (looks like a can opener, i just recently got him). did he have fin rot? or is he a double tail?? sorry i know very little about them. THANK YOU

Last edited by Evo Jace; 07-15-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Evo Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

He could've been biting. It's not fin rot, at least not right now. It could turn to fin rot if you let the water quality get poor. Just give him warm, clean water and it'll grow back good as new.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 
Evo Jace

AWESOME! Thanx! Since we got him, we've changed the water once a week and are very careful with the whole process. SO glad to hear he's ok!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #4 
Namialus

VitaChem will help regrow them. :)
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #5 
Evo Jace

going to look into buying that today!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

I've never heard of VitaChem (and I work in a pet store). I usually recommend Stress Coat. I've used it on all my tail biters and fin rot cases and it does a good job of helping with regrowth.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #7 
Evo Jace

AHHHHHHHHH just noticed my other beta.....im pretty sure his fins werent like this before!!!!

please tell me THIS isnt fin rot either!?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #8 
NeptunesMom

The second one does look like fin rot. Make sure you keep the water clean and warm. That'll help clear it up. If you want you can use aquarium salt for 14 days - 1 tsp per g - to help get rid of the black/dead tissue. Again, I would use Stress Coat to help with regrowth.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #9 
Evo Jace

ok so I bought a heater for each. I started a process of changing the water once a day (distilled water) with a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gal. from what i read it said 7-10 days, should i do that for 14????

It also mentioned not to turn on the lights or filter during this period the help with the fin recovery??? Just want to concur this info. is accurate.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

Wait why you using distilled water. It really bad and not recommended to use distilled water. You can use spring water though. But why don't you use tap water and water conditioner. Tap water more recommended because it has minerals in it. Do you have problem with your water?

First picture with your new betta looks like tail biting, which is also not really good because it can go to fin rot if it infected so more frequent water changes and stress coat will help.

Second picture does look like fin rot but he also has a lot of black coloration in him so are you abslolutelly sure it not his normal coloration and he didn't have it before?

How big are the tanks?
How much and how often you change the water?
Do you have filters?
How long you have second betta? I understood that first one you just bought.
If you going to use aquarium salt you need to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved, shake it well and make sure no salt crystals left before you use it . If you add it directly to the tank it might burn the fish.
You can use the salt for full course of it -10 days up to 13 days if you need it. You need to do daily water changes.
You need to acclimate fish:)
The aq salt dosage 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall. So you can start with 1 tsp and increase it in 12 hrs to 2 tsp/gall and another 12 hrs up to 3 tsp/gall.
But are you sure second one that it not his coloration and he didn't have it before. Do you have pictures for comparison?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote