Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #11 
Evo Jace

I read up to use distilled water....I guess I'll use spring water from now on.

the tanks are 1.1 gallon, we were changing the water once a week (100%)

No filters but i just purchased some.

The red one I've had for about 4 to 5 months now, the blue one ive had for about a week now.

I started using the aquarium salt last night, but (1tsp) still had minor crystal at the bottom of the bottle i mixed them in; I mix it better today and let it dissolve longer.

The red fish might have always had it, im looking for prior pictures to make sure im not crying wolf, but JUST in case. Is it bad to use the aquarium salt if it doesnt have fin rot?

......idk what to do lol
Evo Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo Jace View Post
I read up to use distilled water....I guess I'll use spring water from now on.

the tanks are 1.1 gallon, we were changing the water once a week (100%)

No filters but i just purchased some.

The red one I've had for about 4 to 5 months now, the blue one ive had for about a week now.

I started using the aquarium salt last night, but (1tsp) still had minor crystal at the bottom of the bottle i mixed them in; I mix it better today and let it dissolve longer.

The red fish might have always had it, im looking for prior pictures to make sure im not crying wolf, but JUST in case. Is it bad to use the aquarium salt if it doesnt have fin rot?

......idk what to do lol
Sorry, I usually recommend 10 days with Aq salt. I was tired last night (not used to staying up that late). My bad. Also, you need to make sure it is completely dissolved before you put it into the water. It will release heat as it dissolves which could burn your betta.

The first problem is your water change schedule needs upped. You need to change it at least three times a week. I would do at least two 25%-50% and one 100% each week. That is why your older betta has fin rot. Your new betta will get it too if you do not up your changes. If you want fewer changed you'll need to up to a 2.5 g for twice a week, and a 5+ g for once a week.

Your red fish likely has had fin rot for a long time because of the poor water quality. He def has it on his anal fin at a minimum.

The use of salt if a fish isn't sick is bad. Overuse of aquarium salt encourages the retention of fluids in the body. This can lead to organ problems (and even failure). It should only be used if a fish it sick. However, it is more gentle than the use of antibiotics if a fish is sick. If you stick to using the recommended amounts (i twp per g), for the recommended period (around 10 days) it will be fine though.

What the salt is doing is helping to rid the body of the dead tissue by helping it slough off. It helps to speed things up, but is not necessarily needed to treat fin rot.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

I agree for 1 gall you might need to do 3 water changes or simply do full water change about every 4 days. Do not use filter for the tanks that you have. You don't need filter if oyu do full water change. It will do more harm then better.
Aquarium salt to use if fish not sick i agree you don't want to use. It not going to kill him or do any harm if you use right dosage and right duration but , you might need it to use it later and you don't want to overdose since you already treated it.
So what i would do for the red fish. If he is eating and acting the same healthy as always do not use salt. Do a full water changes as soon as you can. And just keep doing more water changes for now to insure he don't get worse. If you have stress coat -really recommending.Just do not overdose since it also a water conditioner.A few drops is fine.
Try to look at the pictures , you said you have them and compare them. He has a lot of black in him so i really not sure if it fin rot.
But if it fin rot it can get worse so do extra water changes and watch him to understand it it getting worse. Also make daily pictures for comparison so we or other people can help oyu to recognize if it fin rot or not.

Yes DO NOT USE DISTILLED WATER. You can use spring water not purified water.
But again the tap water has more minerals.
Why you don't want to use tap water? Did you ever check your water? Is it bad?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #14 
Evo Jace

no i think my tap water is fine. But it he started showing signs after we cleaned his tank a second time. so i figured i put too little or too much conditioner. idk :/

Im going 30 gal with 2 dividers. im going to do a water change every other day and add 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt to see if it is fin rot or not.

later on today ill post a picture so you guys can help me compare how things are going.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #15 
Evo Jace

WOW that was terrible typing (sorry was half asleep)

I meant, that my tap water is fine, but after i did his second 100% water clean from the 1.1 gal tank is when he started showing signs.

Im going to purchase a 30 gal tank and add dividers.

Until then, im going to perform a water change every other day on the 1.1 gal tank until with 1/2 tsp of the salt until i can jump to the 30 gal tank.

SORRY again
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

Wait so you think it really fin rot?
Do not put 1/2 tps of the salt. It not a therapeutic dosage and will not help , and just he will get resistant to the salt , and the salt will not help when needed.
So if you can keep up with water changes, stress coat helps. For 1.1 gall tank i would do 2-50 and one 100% water changes. Monitor him if you really think he is worse then you can add salt. But you either need to use theraputic dosage and full course of treatment or Do not use it at all.
The instruction on the box - just for the preventative care so do not read them.
You saying he started ti show sings after 100% water changes - it probobly just co incident. I don't think full water changes can be the problem. Just make sure you acclimate them to the new water temperature so you don't stress them out.

Tank divided by 3 good luck. I am not fan of that but i know many people not agree with me. I like to keep them separate in case one get sick . I don't want to end up with all of them sick.
But if you buy bigger tank you need twice bigger filter. And make sure it not too strong , then you need to ruffle it up, and you still need weekly water changes and filter media rinse/swish in the tank water.

Fin rot-dark,discolored or ''smudged'' edges
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #17 
Evo Jace

just an update guys!

1. red (krypton) had fin rot

2. blue (ace) had tail bitting

3. yellow (bolt) had an inflamed stomach

now thanx to the forum, we've become pretty knowledgable and are able to catch the situation fast (without panicking) and handle it before it becomes serious. just wanted to give you guys an update on them.

currently waiting to further the cycle of my 29 gal tank, their soon to be home

Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #18 
NeptunesMom

Wow. They are lucky boys, and they looks great.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

Wow they really look like they never had any issues !!!
Did you treat the red one Krypton with anything? What did you do for the Bolt?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #20 
Evo Jace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Wow they really look like they never had any issues !!!
Did you treat the red one Krypton with anything? What did you do for the Bolt?

whoops i just noticed i wrote krypton, meant krypto lol.

On him i just used the stress coat, and aquarium salt.

And bolt i gave him the inside (no shell) of a cooked green pea. Also used 3/4 tsp of epsom salt and fasted him for a day. Was good as new :D

Last edited by Evo Jace; 07-23-2013 at 11:06 PM.