Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #1 
Evo Jace

Some advice everyone???

My girlfriend and I are new to the beta community; we bought one veil tail at a fair event and bought another 2 since. All males and I believe all are veil tails. They're each in a 1.1 galloon "half-moon" tank.

Wanted to know what you guys recommend for them? like maybe a filtration system or what not? all advise helps! THANK YOU

(heres a couple pix.... day n night)

Evo Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 
BettaFran

For starters, unless your room is heated to 80 or so, you need heaters for them. You can continue to leave their containers unfiltered but you're going to have to do large water changes several times per day and not miss any. Also because of that the tanks won't ever really cycle and you're going to have to constantly check water parameters. What is your current routine? What are your water params? Lets start there and then see where you need to go ;)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #3 
Briz

I wouldn't say several water changes every day... more like every other day would be ideal. The basic recommendation for this gallon size is 2 water changes a week, with one being 50% of the water and the other 100% of the water. You should also stir up the gravel every week or so during the 50% water change to get the gunk floating so it will get removed with the old water.

Heaters will really increase the livelyhood and health of your Bettas. They do best at 76-82 degrees. These heaters will do great for your 1.1 gallon tanks and are small so they will fit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLPG8

If you really care, you might want to switch which kind of food you're feeding them. If it's not Omega One or New Life Spectrum, it's probably a food that is mainly filler ingredients. Almost everyone here recommends one or both of these brands.

Last edited by Briz; 07-15-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 
Evo Jace

Ok well to be totally honest..... feed them once every other day, change 100% of the water once a week and clean all the pebbles, ornaments and tank. Guess I need to do more huh??

Also what do you guys think about these filters?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Lets say I buy those heaters and these filters.....what would my routine need to be??
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #5 
Briz

The water change routine should still be twice a week even with a filter. The filter helps remove physical gunk from the water, but doesn't do much for ammonia. It's great that you clean the pebbles and ornaments, but that may get tiring after a while. If changing the water once a week works for you, then continue to do so, but if you start to notice the edges of their fins turning black then you need to start doing more water changes.

The only difference with the addition of the heater would be to make sure you turn them off when you remove water. :) (And back on when the water is back in!)
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

The filter will most certainly do something about the ammonia. The beneficial bacteria will colonize the media, like it does in every other filtered tank. It's a myth that small tanks can't hold a cycle.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #7 
HeadlessLegoMom

What kind of water conditioner are you using? If your tanks are only 1 gallon and you aren't changing the water often, then the ammonia will build up quickly, so SeaChem Prime is the way to go because it temporarily turns ammonia into ammonium meaning that it won't harm the fish.

What kind of plants do you have in the tank? Silicone, plastic, live, or silk? I ask because your tanks are next to one another meaning that the fish will flare at eachother often and therefore need good, safe hiding spots to feel safe and secure because they don't know that the other fish are in seperate tanks and can't attack them. Plastic plants can easily tear a veil tail's fragile fins, so it is important to run a pair of stockings across the decoration to make sure that it is safe for your fish.
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #8 
HeadlessLegoMom

I think that people believe that small tanks cannot hold a cycle because the water is changed so often that it is hard for the good bacteria to develop, but Lilnaugrim says that if you put the new media in with the old one for a few days before you switch over to the new one, the good bacteria will have a chance to move over to the new media instead of getting thrown away with the old one.
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #9 
Evo Jace

ok i bought the heaters. but apparently the fish were showing signs of fin rot. From what ive read, its ask to change the water once a day (distilled water) with a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gal for the next 7-10 days. It also mentioned not to turn on the lights or filter during this period the help with the fin recovery??? Just want to concur this info. is accurate.

Once I finish with this process I plan on adding the filters, and cleaning the bowls twice a week (one 50% and one 100%).

I was using a basic water conditioner from a pet store (petsmart) but tomorrow im going to purchase some stress coat to help with the fin recovery.
Also, the plants are plastic.......will perform the stocking test tomorrow and post results.

Just want to give a BIG thanx to all of you for taking time and helping me out!

Last edited by Evo Jace; 07-15-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

I don't think the water is changed any more often than anyone else doing a fish in cycle. Change all the water you want - the bacteria will grow. I think it's silly how people think that they can stop nature from doing what nature does. Bacterias are one of the most resilient and prolific forms of life on the planet.

But let's for a second pretend that a tank is too small for bacteria to live in.... How on earth would it be acceptable to keep a fish in a tank that's too small for bacteria to live in?? Moreover, how is it acceptable to keep a fish in a tank that can't support a filter large enough to house enough bacteria to sustain that single fish?? Just things to think about...

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote