Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #11 
HeadlessLegoMom

Do NOT use distilled water because important nutrients have been stripped from it leaving it too pure to sustain your fish in a healthy environment and allow for good bacteria to grow. Tap water with conditioner would be better. If you get the stress coat, then you don't need to also use the other conditioner. Another good choice to try would be the Prime to make the ammonia less harmful since your fish are in smaller sized tanks and the ammonia will rise quickly. It also has something in it for the fish's slime coat. Whichever you choose, make sure to do frequent water changes until the rot is gone because clean water is the most effective therapy for minor fin rot.

If you are planning on using the heaters in the tanks, it is important to also have thermometers to make sure that the water does not get too hot and also that the temperature is the same when you do a water change.

Also, you'd do better with 2-3 teaspoons of Aquarium Salt per gallon if you choose to use the salt.
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #12 
HeadlessLegoMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I don't think the water is changed any more often than anyone else doing a fish in cycle. Change all the water you want - the bacteria will grow. I think it's silly how people think that they can stop nature from doing what nature does. Bacterias are one of the most resilient and prolific forms of life on the planet.

But let's for a second pretend that a tank is too small for bacteria to live in.... How on earth would it be acceptable to keep a fish in a tank that's too small for bacteria to live in?? Moreover, how is it acceptable to keep a fish in a tank that can't support a filter large enough to house enough bacteria to sustain that single fish?? Just things to think about...

Sent from Petguide.com App
Um, I never said anything about a tank being too small for bacteria to live in. Bacteria is tiny and can live anywhere, but the general public in not well informed on the benefits of good bacteria as much as they are aware of the detriments of bad bacteria. For example, you are never supposed to use anti-bacterial soap (like Dial) on your genitals because it kills off the good bacteria necessary for fighting off infection and maintaining a good ph.

If someone is doing a complete water change every day and rinsing off everything in their tank including the filter media, how do you figure good bacteria would keep from being rinsed away?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
Um, I never said anything about a tank being too small for bacteria to live in. Bacteria is tiny and can live anywhere, but the general public in not well informed on the benefits of good bacteria as much as they are aware of the detriments of bad bacteria. For example, you are never supposed to use anti-bacterial soap (like Dial) on your genitals because it kills off the good bacteria necessary for fighting off infection and maintaining a good ph.

If someone is doing a complete water change every day and rinsing off everything in their tank including the filter media, how do you figure good bacteria would keep from being rinsed away?
Ill take your word for it on the pH.

There's absolutely no need for someone to try to sterilize their tank like that - its extremely counterproductive. Anyone that does is just making things as difficult as they can for themselves. Some people like doing things the hard way though, making as much work for themselves as they possibly can. However, rinsing off things in the tank and the media (I assume you mean in tap water) does not sterilize them.

Even if it DID, being able to actively preventing the cycle has no bearing whatsoever on whether small tanks can be cycled.

jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #14 
HeadlessLegoMom

Who said anything about sterilization? I am just saying that new fish owners often don't do extensive research on how to clean or cycle their tanks. Of course rinsing in tap water wouldn't sterilize anything or people would just rinse their dishes instead of washing them. I never said you can't cycle a small tank. You're the one that said that is a common misconception. I am not sure why you are making so many assumptions or appear to be so argumentative. Why don't you put all of that knowlesge to good use trying to help people instead of trying to debate with me about things I never said?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #15 
VJM

I wouldn't use a filter on a tank that small, it will be strong and stress the fish.

I have three bettas, and my smallest tank is 2.5g. It is too small, and I have a six gallon on the way. All three tanks are heavily planted, and all three hold a cycle with no problems. All have filters, and all are heated. One 25-50% water change per week for each.

Do yourself a favor and either get bigger tanks, or get one large tank and divide it. Let the tank cycle before adding fish. It will be way less work, and your bettas will be happier. Heating tiny tanks can also be a pain.

Sounds like your guys are starting to show signs that their water quality isn't good. I would pull the decorations (they can leach toxins and you are giving them even less swimming room), add plants, and do the appropriate water changes.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #16 
whatsupyall

Oh my, if I had to change water several times per day, I would die before the fish lol. Water changes would need to be done every 3 days or so for that tank size. Definitely depends on how much you feed also. For tank that size, I would not use a filter. So much easier to just dump the water out and replace it. A filter tiny enough to fit in there and not stress the betta out probably isn't doing much filtering. Good luck and let us know if you need more advice. :)
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
Who said anything about sterilization? I am just saying that new fish owners often don't do extensive research on how to clean or cycle their tanks. Of course rinsing in tap water wouldn't sterilize anything or people would just rinse their dishes instead of washing them. I never said you can't cycle a small tank. You're the one that said that is a common misconception. I am not sure why you are making so many assumptions or appear to be so argumentative. Why don't you put all of that knowlesge to good use trying to help people instead of trying to debate with me about things I never said?
You are the one arguing with me. I posted my comment about cycling small tanks BEFORE you posted in the thread, so I don't understand why you are taking this so personally. Correct - You are not the one who said the tank will never cycle - so I don't understand why you bent on arguing this "point". Bettafran is the one who said it, before you entered the thread. How or why you made this about you is beyond me.

You seem intent on debating a point that we appear to both agree on - that small tanks can be cycled just like any other tank. I don't know how washing genitals got pulled into this "debate", but it seems that you are trying hard to continue it. But you can continue it on your own.

Last edited by jaysee; 07-16-2013 at 10:26 AM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #18 
Evo Jace

ok ENOUGH WITH THE DEBATES.....

how about this?? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Bubb...t-1ct/16940357

was looking into gettin 3 of these???? and adding the heaters..... im going to go back to using tap water with stress coat added.

and probably going to do 2 (50%) water changes a week.

ALSO, i have NO idea what holding a cycle means lol.....

what do you guys think of this??? NO ARGUING!
Evo Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #19 
Stone

I would not use a filter like the one you linked in anything under a 5 gallon tank, it will be way too strong and you would have to adjust it down and baffle it to the point water would be barely be moving through it at all and would probably burn the motor out in a pretty short amount of time, if you are bent on using a filter like that go spend 12 dollars at walmart and get a 10 gallon tank and spend another few dollars on some craft mesh and some poster hangers and divide the tank into 3 you can search the fporums here on hwo to make the dividers, it is pretty simple, a 10 gallon tank will be much easier to cycled and keep cycled plus you will only need 1 heater and 1 filter, if you want to keep your current set up of 3 little tanks, you will need 3 heaters that are really small so you do not overheat/cook the fish and I would get 3 small sponge filters and an air pump to power them all and of course tubing and a splitter to connect them all to 1 pump, but in short they are your fish and it is your choice on how you keep them, those 2 suggestions I made are good ones the 10 gallon split tank is the better of the 2 in my opinion....
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #20 
Stone

cycing- is the process that fish waste (ammonia)is broken down by bacteria to less harmful substances, there are stickys about it here or do a websearch
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote