Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #31 
VJM

The tank is a dollar a gallon, so that's a great deal.
For filter, I would go with one of these, or an aquaclear:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=12320

and heater:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368

I think you would still be under $129, and the quality is better (I think).
But, like I said, if you like that one best, go for it and it will be a great home.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #32 
Evo Jace

i love this website you showed me lol. i have both the heater and filter in my cart along with a master test kit. This is def. better than the top fin filter the kit brings right??

I'm going to get the same tank but without the kit; instead its the tank, top, and lights for 58$.... i figure the top and florescent lights will run for about 30 anyways so it evens out....... UNLESS you have a site for those also lol???
Evo Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #33 
VJM

I use Dr Foster's and Smith, Ken's Fish, and Marine Depot a lot for online shopping. Big summer sale now at Foster's and Smith. I actually think Amazon may be cheaper for a master test kit, but maybe not.

A 30 gallon at petsmart now would be 30 bucks, and comes with a glass cover. A light would run you more. Even a Marineland double bright would run over. As long as you don't want live plants, you should be good.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #34 
BettaFran

Glad others chimed in.. until the big debate. Glad it's back on track for you. BTW, my bad for not checking my post. Meant water changes several times per week.....not per day! Ooops! Sorry bout that. Good thing it didn't scare you off! Keep us posted.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #35 
Evo Jace

ok just an update

Petsmart: is having a $2 per gallon sale (stupid or what?)

Petco: is having a $1 per gallon sale.

I bought the 29gal tank i linked in earlier post, BECAUSE : when you buy the dollar(or two dollar) gallon sale it DOES NOT bring a lid/lights. and after i did the math it was cheaper to buy the tank w/ lid and lights.

I also purchased the heater, filter and master test kit that was linked here earlier. (btw the master test kit is only $1 cheaper on amazon than that great site lol)

my question is, How long must I wait/cycle the water (after i set everything up) to add the fish??

Also, is there anything i need to buy to add to the water while its cycling? or do i just do a water change when the test reads something high?
Basically do i have to put in any chemicals to control the levels or just water change?

I do have conditioner, stress coat, aqua salt, pimafix and melafix...
Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #36 
Janan

Good luck finding the home best suited for your bettas.

Last edited by Janan; 07-19-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #37 
VJM

There is a sticky at the top entitled something like "the Nitrogen Cycle: Betta Specific" that lays out fishless cycling. Basically, you use pure ammonia to feed the cycle.

Usually takes 4-6 weeks, then you can slowly add fish.

Pimafix and Melafix are not ok for bettas. There is some discussion about that, but most folks advise not using them.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #38 
jaysee
Reference Team

You are not cycling the water, but rather the filter and the substrate, and to a much lesser degree the rest of the stuff in the tank. The bacteria lives on the surfaces of the tank, not in the water itself. Understanding the nitrogen cycle is one of the most important aspects of keeping fish, so it would be wise to read up on it, like was mentioned. Good on you for choosing a fishless cycle. It will try your patience, but it will also give you patience which is very important in this hobby. Plus, you can take that time to really learn about the fish you would like to keep rather than buying first and researching second, which is what many people do.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #39 
Evo Jace

just an update guys!

1. red (krypton) had fin rot

2. blue (ace) had tail bitting

3. yellow (bolt) had an inflamed stomach

now thanx to the forum, we've become pretty knowledgable and are able to catch the situation fast (without panicking) and handle it before it becomes serious. just wanted to give you guys an update on them.

currently waiting to further the cycle of my 29 gal tank, their soon to be home

Old 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #40 
BettaFran

Great job! I'm sure they'll like their new home once it's nice and cycled. Keep us posted.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote