Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #1 
shroomer

Skyes New Home

so ive got my new 10 gallon tank set up and i thought u wonderful people might liek to see it i no veganchick does so here it is.

i think i am going to cycle his tank, for a week before i put him in there so that is why the tank is empty.
shroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think it will take longer than a week for it to cycle. Make sure you have a test kit. An API master test kit.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #3 
fishyinpa

Looks good! Add a cave for him as well. A 10 gallon is fairly easy to cycle,but takes quite longer than a week to do so. It took my tank 8 weeks to cycle.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #4 
shroomer

i desided im going to just do a fish in cycle, it will eventually work out, i have been looking for some cool decoration he can use as a hiding place, but i am unemployed right now, but i will hopefully have a job soon
Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you cycle with the fish in the tank, be sure to monitor your water parameters since ammonia is toxic to fish. It can be done but you just have to be careful.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #6 
fishyinpa

Yes it can be done. I did it with Fishy. BUT you will have to go buy API master test kit. Its about 30 bucks. Its the only way to know whats going on with it. The strips are inaccurate. So before you even think about cycling,get a kit as soon as you can. Otherwise since its a big tank,you can get away with like 25% water changes twice a week.

If you cant afford to get a test kit right now,just keep up with the water changes till you can get one.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #7 
shroomer

hey i just got a job, right now i only have an ammonia test kit, not strips, it came with a test tube, and 2 dropper bottles, since i am now employed i will probably pic up the master test kit, but we shall see.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #8 
fishyinpa

Oh cool! Congrats! Well for now ammonia is a good starter test. Thats what will come first in cycling. it takes awhile before you get any nitrites,so you have some time but dont take too long lol. You are better off just getting the master test kit,rather than buying each individual test. Once you start this,ANYTHING over .25 for ammonia is bad for your fish. You WILL end having to do water changes everyday for awhile,because they will get crazy high. Definetly not a good thing to leave it go,as your fish will suffer. So good luck with your new job and your new fish!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Another thing I just learned about cycling is to feed your fish sparingly during cycling. The less fish waste you have, the less ammonia you have to deal with.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #10 
fishyinpa

Yup! If your ammonia tests over .5 dont feed at all until its below that. They will be fine without food.