Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #1 
Kittiesdragons

You knew you were hooked when...

So I want to find out how and when my fellow fish lovers got hooked into the hobby (pun intended)

Mine is an interesting tale. I started off wanting a pet so badly and my best friend and her roommate have fish (angelfish and rainbow sharks, so cool) and I would often go over to their dorm room and visit (I had graduated and have my own apartment at this point) I guess I was mesmerized by the fish and wanted my own.

My current roommate had an old bowfront 2.5 from when a friend had asked her to fish sit... btw the fish died at the hands of my roommate... anyway I did research but apparently not enough because I took home three long finned gold zebra danios. They were doing swimmingly (again pun intended) until one died and I replaced him and then they all slowly started dying of a mysterious infection that no one knew what it was or how to treat it! I was crushed... I had a snail in there too, he survived. I had even set up a hospital tank for my next to last fish so I could treat him without hurting the snail and put so much time and effort into trying to save him but I couldn't. So I had but one Zebra left named Quirk. I loved him so much cause he was special to me and then one morning I woke up and he was gone... I cried so much and I thought about just breaking the tank down forever cause I thought it was all my fault and that I just couldn't keep fish alive. I used to have fish when I was younger too but they all died too soon. Catfish died because I knew nothing about cycling or water conditioner (it was my parent's idea) and my Betta (sip Jazz) died by accident (I still beat myself up about that).

Finally the urge not to be alone tugged at me again a few weeks later and at the urging of my fish loving best friend I went out to petsmart with her once again. This time I was really scared and nervous cause I didn't want to make the same mistake. I asked lots of questions... I was going to get a molly or a couple of guppies but I was told a Betta would be best for my setup. So I wandered over to the Bettas and looked. I was overwhelmed and cranky from still grieving over Quirk. Then I found Jacob... at first I was reluctant but he looked a lot like Jazz so I picked him up and it just felt right. I was talking to him and he was a lively fellow so home we went. Well that was in April and now I have three healthy boys to call my own.

I knew I was hooked when I was talking to my mom and the topic of birthday and Christmas came up and I said I really want the API master test kit cause I'm a science geek and it makes me feel better knowing all my water params I use the API ammonia tester now . I guess I'm hooked!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't even know how it happened... I started with one... Then I got one more... I think you can fi ish the story lol.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

I got a betta for my desk because that's where I do my school all day long and I was lonely so I went to the petstore got a 1g "tank" and thought that was okay until I did some research and bought a 5g then I got another boy while I was shopping for decor for my 5g... then a month or 2 later my cousin needed to rehome one of her girls from her sorority so I took her... Then while I was visiting my cousin and picking up my new girl, we went to petco and my uncle had said he would get me a fish so I picked my last boy! Soon I'll be starting a sorority and then I'm sure I'll get another tank but I'm thinking a big community or some cichlids!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #4 
Kittiesdragons

@ Mattbettas LOL Yea... I didn't go into how I now have three boys because honestly I'm not sure how it happened... and then I started finding other fish species I like and well as soon as I have my own place it's just... I'm doomed! LOL
Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #5 
Polkadot

I saw my first little betta boy Link (a red Veiltail) when I was a the pet store buying things and just thought he was the cutest fish ever,I couldn't resist his little face.I hadn't owned fish for ages and had never owned a Betta,but I just had to have him,I couldn't stop thinking about him.He was SO wonderful & I've loved bettas ever since.I now have my 3 beautiful little blue Veiltail boys Peanut,Button & Piglet,and they are just brilliant! I wuv,wuv,wuv them!
Polkadot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #6 
GinjaHaZ

My friend had gotten a betta, and I thought they were really pretty. Once I finally just up and got one myself, I have just continued to get more and more stuff for my Lucifer. I love watching him swim around and knowing that he's happy automatically makes me happy so I feel like it's helping my stress levels stay down. Once I move into my new apartment, I plan on getting another. <3
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #7 
BettaLover1313

My friend had a betta before me and so I bought a blue and black CT. He didn't live very long though due to my own lack of knowledge about bettas. Over a year later, and I bought a spunky red VT that I named Merlin, and he really got me into the hobby! My grumpy boy has been so loving and just amusing to watch and helpful that I bought him a room mate when he looked sulky, and that's how Dragoon came to be in the house. I've been thinking about getting a third, but the one I really wanted at the Pet Smart I go to isn't there anymore, so probably one get a third one for awhile.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 
plasticspaceman

My then-4-year-old was near tears over the state of one skinny blue veiltail in a tiny cup. She named him Rooster, while we were still standing in the store. I was really moved by her compassion for another living being... and I'm pretty sure it's a law that you can't leave a pet in a store after you give it a name, anyway.

Bettas are a romance, for sure. They have backstory. They need saving. They are social. They're like tiny, beautiful orphans... who only need a few gallons of space and a few pellets a day to live a long, happy life. How can you say no to that? ;)
plasticspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #9 
xfrequentflyerx

Idk, hahahahaha. To be honest, once I got a blue + red + green crowntail betta, I could not resist the urge to continue this amazing hobby!! Lol.
xfrequentflyerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #10 
Kittiesdragons

I foolishly didn't realize just how addicting fish keeping, in particular, Betta keeping could be!