Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #11 
sainthogan

My son wanted a pet, and his cousin had a goldfish, so he wanted a goldfish. I told him that if he did very well during his fillings at the dentist, I would buy him a fish. We went to the store and looked at the goldfish, but they just weren't very exciting. We saw a cart of Betta fish being rolled out from the back room from just having their water changed. One little fish kept trying to get our attention and he (the girl told me the fish was a male, even though I had my doubts) had a tinge of gold (turns out the fish had velvet). My son instantly wanted that fish. So we brought him home with a half gallon tank, and then he got very sick. I researched proper care, found this site, got him a heated 5 gallon tank, then found out that he is a she (which I suspected all along). Then shortly after that, she jumped out of her tank chasing a fruit fly. I found her on the floor after about a half hour and cleaned her off and put her back in her tank. She recovered, and now, she and I have a very special bond.

Then, I was a sucker for a hard-luck case on here. A breeder was getting rid of a cull, and this one picture in particular really stuck out for me, he had puppy dog eyes. So I told the breeder I would take him and he arrived in a snow storm. He's my timid one who struggles with chronic SBD, but I wouldn't change it for the world, especially when he looks at me from inside his pineapple with those puppy dog eyes.

I want more, but don't have room right now, especially since my husband has since insisted that our fish will only live in 5 gallon tanks. I have a 3 gallon sitting empty, but he won't let me use it for a Betta, so, until I have more room for 5 gallon tanks, I will stick with my 2 beautiful babies.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #12 
tngirl92

I knew I was hooked when I got Parli and put a ton of effort into saving his life. I had bettas all through childhood, but I became really attached to Parli and spent a lot of money on saving him from an infection.

Now I have three, which is really too much for a broke college student. Betta care really bites my savings, but what can you do? Gotta have 'em all!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #13 
snowflake311

It's not just betta fish it is all fish. This hobby of keeping aquariums is very addictive. I had a betta fish addiction many years ago. Then plecos, then I got hooked on South American cichlids, and for a year I only wanted shrimp. Now I am back to bettas and here to stay.

My love for bettas never went away I just wanted to try different fish out. But I always find my self with a betta.

The big ear hmpk are what brought me back to bettas this time. Last time it was a copper.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #14 
Midori

I knew I was hooked when one fish became two, then 4, then 6. Then kept my fish with a serious swim blader issue alive for about 2 years after he got sick.
Midori is offline   Reply With Quote