Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #1 
bradleyjames77

how to "quarentine"

I have a ten gallon tank gravel bottom and I have planaria worms so im thinking of getting a fresh start and going with a dirt subtrate with sand cap, I saw in the sticky recomendations on quarentineing all plants fish and decor, how exactly do you qt?
bradleyjames77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #2 
snowflake311

I dont QT my plants never have. yes I have gotten some little bugs but nothing my fish would not eat. It was never a problem. I did get rams horn snails but I love them.

What you do it just leave the plants in a bucket with light so they don't die for a few days or a week, rinse them off and put them in the tank.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #3 
bradleyjames77

Im kinda trying to keep the bugs out, they arent really a problem my fish survives with them, it just doesnt seem right with worms crawling on my glass lol
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

You can keep plants in the water WITHOUT water conditioner for a few weeks before you put them in the tank. But i am not sure i think some plants will survive and some can die though.
Also some people recommending to disinfect the plants. Do you want me to find that link?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #5 
bradleyjames77

Please do!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #6 
litelboyblu

heres a link to sterilize live plants i would say this also works for decor totally not for fish though i follow her on youtube she's really good with goldfish and betta fish heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDs6Pu7w8Z0
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

check the post #8 and #9. Also #8 from lilnaugrim.She is very helpful and knowlegeable, and nice so feel free to ask her any questions right in that thread. I personally never disinfect the plants,but if lilnaugrim gave advice she know what she is talking about. She will answer your questions.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=2036738
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #8 
bradleyjames77

Thanks ill look into those links
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quarantining fish is very important for long term success in the hobby. Of course if the fish is going to live alone, then it's not really necessary. Too, the first fish in a tank are essentially being quarantined.

I quarantine for 1-2 months. During that time I treat them for parasites as a preventative measure.

While the fish are in quarantine you just want to pay attention to them, making sure that they are swimming, eating and pooping as they should.

The quarantine period also gives fish the chance to adjust - something some fish need more than others. It gives them a chance to adjust to what you feed, as well as you and your routines. One of my rules of thumb is that the fish stays in quarantine till its no longer afraid of me.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

I know i always recommending to quarantine any new fish. And even if fish by itself i also recommending do not put the decorations and the gravel in case it sick . I just don't want people end up with disinfecting everything or buying new gravel. Unfortunately it always a chance to buy sick betta and not able to save it:( And it more difficult for new owners who has no idea what to do and how disinfect. Or even worse will go buy another one and put in the same tank .