Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #1 
dukie1346

Can you use a filter in an uncycled tank?

Currently I'm using a filter with an uncycled 10g tank. Is that okay?
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #2 
Nataku

The filter is only going to help you (so long as the flow is not so high that it sucks the betta in, then, well, that's bad xD ). All filters started out in an uncycled tank at some point in time anyhow, because the filter is what helps set up the cycle. The bacteria will eventually settle in the filter material and cause the cycling effect in your tank by consuming the ammonia, and then later the nitrites.
I'm assuming you just set this tank up. Do you already have a fish in this tank? If possible, it is normally best to not have a fish in the tank whilst first letting it set up and go through the cycle (provided you are planning on cycling the tank, if not, then you shoud be doing frequent enough water changes to combat the ammonia level from rising high enough to harm the fish). The high levels of ammonia present as a tank is first cycling can often greatly stress a fish and even kill them.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #3 
dukie1346

I do have afish in the tank, I can't cycle the tank either, but I have no place to put the fish!!!! I've had the tank for a few days now.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #4 
dukie1346

I am so confused. I can't cycle the tank, my fish is in the tank, I just got the tank in the last few days, what can I do?????????
Old 03-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

You CAN cycle the tank with the fish in it. You just have to be very careful to check ammonia levels. It is best to do it without the fish to keep the fish from getting stressed. You would need an API liquid master test kit to keep an eye on water parameters. I know its all confusing. It still is to me but I'm learning.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

If a tank is cycled then you don't have to do massive water changes. Just like 25-50% depending on what your readings are.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #7 
dukie1346

...But my parents won't buy me a kit with the ammonia!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #8 
Chicklet

Do you not have any money of your own ? ever?
an ammonia test kit around here goes for 8 bucks at wall mart..
And If you really don't want to cycle the tank with your betta in it, Surely you have a gallon jar or plastic ice cream tub something you can temp hold him into until it cycles...it must have a cover tho, with air holes.. Betta's can & will jump out..

Or just leave the betta in the tank and do water changes as needed,,
Problem is once the ammonia turns to 0 your gonna have nitrites take its place, and nitrites are even more dangerous then ammonia! So then your going to need a nitrite kit.....
once the nitrites turn to nitrates your tank is cycled and safe for the fish.....
I will personally not ever cycle a tank with fish in it again,, to stressful on them in my opinion....

If your parents won't let you do anything, How can we here really help you.....

Just change his water as frequently as you can,... Betta's are tough little nuts/// to tough for their own good in my opionion...... Everything will probably turn out ok as long as you keep up with the water changes
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #9 
dukie1346

I'm using my money now to repay them for the tank...I'll just have to do water cleanings
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #10 
veganchick

how about u take the filter out, and do 50% water changes twice a week?
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote