Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi.. some questions:

1) What's the air temp in the room? Water temp is generally a few degrees cooler than this, so knowing the air temp will allow us to estimate the water temp.

2) How much Epsom salt did you add?

3) How did you acclimate him to the Epsom salt? (Ie: did you just put it in his tank? What procedure did you follow?

4) In the picture you posted - is his caudal fin bent under him? (It's not visible, so I just want to know whether his fins are intact.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #12 
Umineko

I measured the water Temp a little while ago and it was around 80. I used what another thread said 1tsp per gallon[ the QT i have him in is one Gallon]. I mixed the Epsom salt in some of the water for the tank, dissolved it then placed it in and mixed the water and let it sit for a while before I placed him inside. All his find are in tact as far as I can tell.
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #13 
Umineko

His stomach isn't as gray looking as it was a while ago so I am guessing that is a small improvement?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, that's good. The lighter color is probabaly due to the bloat. (The skin is stretched taut.) So this would mean the swelling may be going down....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #15 
Umineko

Well he hasn't looked really bloated at all to me, just discolored, but he is still very lethargic, just laying there. I was reading something about covering his QT, blacking him out so nothing stresses him. Should I try that as well? If so should I keep his light on when I do it?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #16 
Umineko

He has all of a sudden began moving around quite a lot, he is not at the top of the bowl anymore, and is now swimming through his flower, but his swimming is still very erratic, as if he is still struggling to get upright. Not sure whether to see this as an improvement or not.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #17 
Umineko

I just noticed this but his left eye looks really poofy, could I have been wrong and he have Popeye not Swim Bladder? Could Popeye cause all this trouble he has been having?

Last edited by Umineko; 07-16-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #18 
Umineko

Ive had his light on to keep him warm but it seems like he wanted to hide under his plant to get away from the light so I turned it off for now. I just hope the water temp doesn't change.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #19 
Umineko

Yeah I honestly now think it is Popeye. When this originally started it didn't look like his eye was swollen but now it has gotten swollen. It is like the eye is weighing him down and that is why he has trouble swimming it seems. It isn't immensely big but it is bigger than his normal eye for sure.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #20 
Umineko

Morning update: Last night I kept his light off and hopefully that let him relaxed a bit. This morning he is back at the top of the bowl again, just floating on his side again. About to do the daily water change and Epsom again.

Tags
cured, popeye, swimbladder, urgent answers needed!