Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #21 
Umineko

Should I maybe try and feed him? I am kinda afraid to.
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #22 
Umineko

I tried giving him a little food but he wont eat...
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #23 
LittleBlueFishlets

How is he doing tonight? Can you post a picture (or pictures) of him?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #24 
Umineko

Tonight he is just floating around still like yesterday, but he has moved around a bit more. I managed to get a picture of his eyes [even tho its blurry caust he kept floating on the side with the bad eye.

The last pic is technically upsidedown but you can still see how poofy that eye is :/

He also still isn't eating. I tried feeding him an even using a toothpick or something to give him food an he just won't eat.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #25 
TheOnlyCanvas

While he may also have popeye it definitely sounds like he has SBD issues on top of it.
Epsom salt is the best cure for now. I have a fish that I rescued with SBD and she exhibited the exact symptoms your little guy is. I had to bump her to 2 tsp/gal of Epsom salt. I would recommend bumping him up to that dosage for a while. It may take a few days. My fish refused to eat for four days after I brought her home, and I have no idea how long she'd gone before that. He'll eat once he feels better :)

I believe the salts should help the swelling with his eye as well.
Basically:
  • Warm water: warmer is better, 80 degrees is good for healing - if you can get a heater it will really speed up his healing process. I liked the Tetra ones (not adjustable, but good for now. Just make sure you have a thermometer, too!)
  • Epsom salt: dose is up to you depending on his condition - no more than 3 tsp/gal though. Remember it will take a few days to have an affect. At this point I recommend 2 tsp/gal
  • Lots of rest: another reason to get a heater - this way you can keep his light off longer so he can rest
  • Frequent water changes: with salt it's best to do daily changes anyway
  • I highly recommend using Stress Coat+ in the water. It helps keep him calm and will help with healing and slime coat production. Also if you happen to have indian almond leaves they help, but they're not a requirement :)
  • Provide places near the surface for him to rest. Plants, betta hammock, etc. so that he isn't struggling to the surface for air
  • If he doesn't eat right away don't freak out. He should eat when he's ready. The best way to get him eating again is with live/frozen food that's particularly delicious looking. Bloodworms are good, as well as daphnia. Daphnia will act as a natural laxative to help him pass whatever's blocking him up (a better alternative to the pea, which bettas cannot process)
My fish became very hyperactive the better she got. She would dart around and try to swim down (she was a floater, not a sinker). It's possible this may be normal, but keep an eye on him anyway.

If something comes up let me know. I'll help if I can, or find somebody else who can! Good luck with your fish. SBD is usually treatable.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #26 
Umineko

I have already been doing the Epsom since yesterday and his water is around 80 without a heater. Ill look when I go to the store tomorrow to see what kind of Stress Coat they have as well as something for him to rest on. I can't afford a heater at the moment but with this being Florida and my room the hottest in the house, it is usually around 80. But thank you!

Last edited by Umineko; 07-18-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #27 
TheOnlyCanvas

That should be good, then! It sounds like you've got the hang of things :)

Let us know how he does!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #28 
Umineko

Alrighty, today he seems a little bit better. I got some Stress Coat and I found a thermometer for a decent price. Bumped him up to 2 tsp and his waters at 80. Still being a floater but moved around occasionally. So lets hope this is improvement!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #29 
Umineko

So I just changed his water today and I think he must be feeling a little better because he kept fighting me to get into the net XD One question: He still isn't eating and it has been 3 days. When should I start to worry about him not eating?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #30 
TheOnlyCanvas

I'm not sure when you should worry. My girl went four+ days without eating, and when she started eating again it was only frozen bloodworms, no pellets. If you don't have frozen stuff try soaking some pellets in fresh garlic juice.

Tags
cured, popeye, swimbladder, urgent answers needed!