Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #1 
Virus

Unhappy Oh, dear.. (new Male Crown-Tailed Betta, Bill)

I got the dear. I'm afraid his home isn't so great, though..
My mum wouldn't let me take the time to get a top notch healthy fish and I only have a one gallon. I wasn't allowed to get the 2.5gal that was only a dollar more.. ):
I'm scared for Bill. He's petite but I don't like the idea of having him in a one gallon, let alone ill..
): He is also next to a one gallon hexagon with a Common Goldfish.
Is that okay?
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #2 
Chicklet

Nothing wrong with one gallon tanks,
That is what I use for most all my Betta's and their very happy...
You just need to do more frequent water changes,
Preferably every few days and he should do great..
I have purchased many Sickly Betta's and had them flourish in 1 gallon tanks...
He'll likly enjoy the Goldfish next to him, Mine enjoy being close to other tanks and seeing other fish, So long as the Betta is alone in his tank..... If he flares to much and your afraid of him tiring or stressing himself then just stick a piece of cardboard between the two tanks when needed.......
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #3 
Virus

He's so petite and so very ill..
I'm not so sure he'll make it even with the best care.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #4 
Chicklet

Quote:
so very ill.
in what way do you mean that? please elaborate

I got a very tiny female one time, I knew she would die,
And she was so timid and scared, Never saw her eat and I'd have to go check on her every now and again to be sure she was still alive.
I ended up putting her in a small 1/2 gallon betta container, Put in gravel an ornament a a nice plant to hide into and on top of that I put a floating plant to aid her in her security.
I dropped food in everyday, took about 2 weeks before I'd see small glimpses of her, then she'd disappear again.
I didn't think she'd ever come around let alone survive..

But she did and she now resides in a 2 1/2 gallon tank with another small female..... brave and not scared of anything now.. Shes my little pride and joy I tell her, She's a big girl now...

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-31-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #5 
JingleAllTheWay

Just because he's small doesn't mean he'll die What do you mean by ill? I kept my first betta in a one gallon and he was perfectly fine.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #6 
Virus

His fins are snapping and falling to the bottom of the tank, he has a bad case of ich, an already bad case of growing velvet, he sits at the surface, is getting more and more bloated and wont eat. I put a freezedried bloodworm in before I left for my fathers yesterday. When I got home today it still wasn't eaten along with 2 of the 4 pellets I put in. Does anyone know if petsmart does a return on bettas? I'm treating him for all his illnesses but I'm afraid I'm over-dosing him. I'm scared for poor little Bill.. ): I love him. I'm also afraid to do a partial water change because he's already stressed. His gills, I noticed are shreeded and thin. I can see right through them when he flares, which is never-endingly.. He really needs a water change but I don't want to do anymore damage.. I also don't want to take him back to petsmart unless his really does.. die.. I just want to help this fish.. I don't know what else I can do.. I think I'm going to go do a 25% water change everyday as not to completely stress him but at least it'll be something.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #7 
veganchick

hmm http://www.virbacpets.com/modules/ge...D=190&size=470 this works miricles! Its at almost all petstores, too
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #8 
parakeeto225

dont worry...my kokobe lives in a 1.5 gallon and he's always peppy and ready..

parakeeto225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #9 
parakeeto225

heres his tank when I didnt buy him yet(2 weeks ago)

parakeeto225 is offline   Reply With Quote