Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #1 
Thothgirl

Algae and Plants

I just discovered today that my new tank has a bunch of algae in it. it is a redish-brown color. also I had plants I had to cut back to roots because they had a mass die off due to replanting last week.

The plants are just now starting to show shoots and I am wondering if I should just wipe the Algae off of the fishy hiding places it is on and let it be while letting the Plants re grow or if I should just get new plants and really hope that the Algae doesn't reappear. I also have a moss ball to hopefully cut down on some of the Algae and was going to get a few Corys to help with the bioload but that won't be an option until Friday.

Oh I have been adding Fertilizer to the water to help the Plants bounce back from their die off. about 2 tsp a week as suggested.

Any thoughts?
Thothgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If it's red/brown algae it's most likely diatom's which is very common in "newly" set up tanks and when I say new I mean tanks that have been set up for roughly 2-5 months. Diatoms will show up but after about 3 months they burn themselves out and don't come back so you can rub all you want but it will come back till it burns out. But it's not harmful to anything and it won't kill your plants either so that's fine. Just let the plants do their thing.

Also Marimo balls are actually algae lol but they won't help to reduce the algae. What you need is minimum light's on so about 8 hours and some really fast growing plants like Elodea, Anacharis, Water sprite, Water wisteria, cambomda, things like those will help compete for the same nutrients that algae needs and usually the plants win out.

And what do you mean "get a few Corys to help with the bioload"?? Cory's don't eat poop, they scavenge for left over food but not rotted food and will poop just as much as any other fish. They also don't really help with algae problems since they don't eat algae, they'll nibble on it from time to time but for the most part they eat left over flakes, pellets and wafers.

And what kind of fertilizer is this? The more fert you use the more algae you'll get if you don't have enough plants to soak it up. 2 tsp is quite a bit!!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #3 
Thothgirl

See this is why I joined this forum!

I was told by my petsmart fish guy that Corys were scavengers, which might be a misunderstanding on my part, but scavengers tend to eat any and all refuse they come across. Most likely my mistake there.

It is good to know that all I have to do is wait it out.

I have Aquarium Plant food by Aqueon and the directions said 2 tsp per 10 gallons once a week, which I add after the weekly water change.

So far it is Just Maxx in the tank, today was the day to go and think about anything else we need for his health and happiness.

Lol, on a side note my husband thinks this is crazy hard work and that I am slightly crazier than usual for attempting the strange alchemy that is aquariums.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually it was a common mistake starting usually with petstores that started many years ago. I remember when we had our 20 gallon oh probably 13 years ago about and I remember being told that cory's would eat poop and stuff like that because they're scavengers but yeah that's wrong. Cory's are actually ominivores and will eat both veggies and meat but the majority of their diet should include meaty products like high quality pellets; Omega One or New Life Spectrum which I feed both to my Betta's and my cory's get the left over pellets they come across. I also use wafers sometimes but my Betta girls tend to get to them first and gobble them up >.<

Oh okay, yeah I never used the Aqueon stuff. I started on LeafZone which was 5ml per 10 gallon but I split that to twice a week instead. So you could do one tsp on tank cleaning day and then one during the middle of the week. My schedule would be Saturday and then Wednesday when I split feedings for the plants. Now I use SeaChem's Flourish Comprehensive and only use 1 drop per gallon once a week otherwise I get more algae lol

Yeah I once saw someone's signature that said Aquarist's have to be chemists, biologists and something else I don't remember but it was so true! lol, it's really not as hard as he thinks it is

Oh another note for you, out of all the shrimp, Ghost Shrimp are also scavenger's like cory's and will do nothing or nearly nothing for algae problems. On the other side, shrimp in the Neocaridinia's family like Orange Shrimp, Neon Yellow Shrimp, Red Cherry shrimp, those will eat algae but mostly soft algae like diatom's and green algae so those might be good to look into. However be warned that Betta's often think of shrimp as nice expensive snacks and in fact I just had two of my shrimp eaten by one of my Plakat boys >.> darn thing, I just bought them yesterday!!! lol
Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #5 
Thothgirl

We debated getting shrimp, but I have the feeling Maxx would see them as a snack. Also I will admit I find Ghost Shrimp.... creepy.

My biggest concerns right now really are deciding whether or not to let my plants grow back in, (I am leaning towards that even if it means algae while they grow) and whether or not to get the corys. is there a good all around scavenger fish that can stay with a betta?

I might be wrong but I think Maxx is an aggressive type. He is crazy active and flares allot but especially when something happens he doesn't approve of. He makes circles around his tank (10 gl) that reminds me of the ferrets double checking there territory to make sure nothing has changed. He always gets flary when he gets near what little current is left after I baffled is filter. I think of it like him complaining that his world dose not need such a thing.

I worry about him sometimes. He doesn't seem to really relax much but make amazing bubble nests and comes and watches me when I am watching him. that seems when he is his calmest.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You could get a small trio of cory's like Julii, Peppered, Albino's, Panda and Bandit's. If you do get a trio then only get one type because the different types don't shoal together. Cory's need to be together for social reasons and will usually become depressed or not active when not with at least three or more. Also it's a good idea to have a nice fine substrate. If you've got regular gravel that isn't smooth i would not suggest getting Cory's because they've got barbel's around their mouth and if those get damaged while rumaging around then the fish could get infected, leading to death because you usually don't look at barbels lol So that's something to consider as well.

Yeah I don't really like Ghost shrimp either honestly. But if you can find Red Cherry Shrimp, that might be able to work but of course depends on the Betta. My long finned boy isn't fast enough to catch all of them so if you put in like 10 or so, Maxx probably won't be able to eat them all. However that's me assuming Maxx is a long finned Betta. If he's plakat or a shorter DT then I wouldn't suggest shrimp at all, even Amano shrimp which usually stand up for themselves can become Betta snacks saw that happen with one of my 3 month old Betta's who is still tiny!

But for the most part you want to look for bottom feeder fish, unfortunately either most get too big or your need to get a school of them. You could for now get a tiny Pleco and then when it starts to get too big, find a home for him/her or donate to your local petCo. But keep in mind that ALL algae eater's create lots of poop, doesn't matter what kind of algae eater they are or what types of algae they eat. Not all of them eat all kinds of algae either :-/

Something you might want to look into are Bristlenose Pleco's, they only grow to 4 inches but you'd still have to find a new home for it as in a 10 gallon it won't be able to grow much. But for the time it will eat most/all of your algae but you will have to supliment with cucumbers or zuchini or lettuce. There's other veggies you can feed them too and mine would eat a whole slice of uncooked cucumber in two days lol, crazy! but she did really well for the algae in my 33 too.

Feel free to ask questions if you need ^_^ I know I can write novels sometimes haha