Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #1 
sassyfriend

Lightbulb my 2.5 betta tanks

my tanks keep getting white stuff stuck on the sides on the top most part of it. I have 2 bettas divied in each of them.

Need to know what if anything I can do to get rid of the white stuff. Tried spongeing but it still is there. Is there any little fish I can add to help with it?

Haven't got any heaters and gave up on filters cause they kept messing up.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #2 
jesssan2442

its most likely a bacterial film, you'll need to get a filter for it to go away...

betta need heaters! they are tropical fish, native to asia!! unless you keep you house in the 90s constantly you tanks aren't at the right tempature, which'll cause your bettas to live a shorter life!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #3 
sassyfriend

I have a light I turn on for them and it makes the temp go up and plus everyone of the bettas I have had never has had a heater and I've have one that is getting really old.

Also petco people say I don't need any heaters plus i'm concerned about making mom's bills go even higher. Plus I have several bettas in smaller tanks than 2.5 so what do I do?

I don't keep the light on all day though.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Protein film from all the food. It's safe.

IMO 2.5 gallons are too small for 2 bettas, let alone one. You'll need a heater if you want those 2 to be healthy. The light will heat the water a little bit, but what about night time when it's colder? I suppose the divider has holes, right? They'll see each other and it's really stressful to them..

Please take care of your first pets first and get the best supplies rather than getting another one and another and another..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #5 
mybabyjets

2.5 gallons are fine tanks for one fish..my female betta loves hers, and shes is doing great...but yes i would get a heater.
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #6 
LittleDeer

You already have too many fish in a small space, I would definitely not put any more animals in those tanks. I would never keep more than one fish in anything less than 5 gallons.

Just because an animal is surviving, does not mean it has any quality of life. A person can survive a while locked in a bathroom if someone drops in food every now and then, but what sort of quality of life would that be?
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #7 
sassyfriend

Exclamation Okay please let me explain least you make me feel even more guilty!!!!!!!!!

My tanks are kept upstairs in my bedroom and mom says I can't have any bigger tanks because they will be too hard for us to handle. I say I agree with her in a way because it is hard enough to lift 2.5 gallons and by the way I can't lift them with water in them anyways they are too heavy so I have to empty them out a little at a time.

So this is the problem I have. Truth is I would adore having a bigger/better tank(s) but I can't so there's nothing I canpossiable do to change mom's mind. But i'm doing my best to get bettas out of the stores and take care of them to the best of my abilty.

I ADORE THESE FISHIES!!!!!!!!!!!

So could you give me any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #8 
LittleDeer

Well, what you do have is the very minimum I'd keep Bettas in, but I would definitely not put anything else in that amount of space. As for the film, there's not a whole lot you can do but scrub it off. I have it on my airline tubing for my air stone, but it doesn't really bother me. Its just protein, and doesn't really hurt anything. I mean I think snails would eat it, but I don't know if I'd put a snail in that small of a space. Maybe if they had 2 gallon spaces individually, but you have 1.25 gallons per fish, and you're gonna get a lot of ammonia if you add snails to them all.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #9 
sassyfriend

That reminds me we got one of those cleaning pumps that's supposed to help clean your rocks/gravel and stuff like that and mom did what the diractions said to do but she couldn't get it to work so we just take the rocks/gravel out and wash them out.

Is having rocks/gravel a good ideal at all? Also I've had live plants before but one betta ended up getting tangled up and drowning so I ended up getting rid of both plants. I was so upset!!!!!!!!!!! First live plants and one was a death trap!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

If you do a bare bottom tank, it gives your Bettas a little more water to swim in. Also, it would be easier for you to change the water and the tanks wouldn't be so heavy.

You could get some floating plants like Cabomba but no other critters.

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty. You have restrictions and are doing the best you can. Keep up the good work.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote