Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #1 
rmarkham

My upgrade is complete! Now time to start planning what to stock next!

Hi guys!

I am so happy to be done with moving, and upgrading my 29G tank to a 40B!

I did the aqua scape really fast because I had a lot of unpacking to do, and wanted to get the fish in their new home.. but I'm actually very happy with it.

By some miracle my crypts didn't melt at all!

So, now that I have a larger aquarium, I would like to add a few more fish.

What I have so far

1 blue gourami, who is very shy
1 albino female bn pleco
5-6 (hard to count) albino cories
7-8 peppered cories (hard to count as well)
3 gold pristella tetras... I know my first priority is to fill out this school. I had lost 2 tetras a while ago but wanted to hold off on adding more fish until after I moved.

I really don't need any more bottom feeders.. especially because my cories keep laying eggs everywhere and a few have hatched.

I also do not think that livebearers would be a great idea because I don't want to worry about tons of little fry everywhere.

I really think that my tank could use a serious pop of color, red would be nice! I was looking at rummynose tetras, celestial pearl danios, neons, threadfin rainbows.. but I'm not sure what would be best..

Anyone have any suggestions for good additions to my tank?

Here are some pictures! The first one was taken at night with no flash, and the second was was taken during the day, so there is a bit of a glare. (I really need to do something with those floating plants)

rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Celestial pearl danios can be very shy. Even when I had mine in a tank with a lot of cover and other schooling fish they rarely ventured out of the plants. Threadfins can be quite delicate fish, and may be bullied or out-competed for food by the tetras.

I think rummynose tetras would be best. They are apparently tight schoolers, and I imagine would be able to handle any competition with your other tetras. Plus when they are healthy and content their bright red heads are very striking.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #3 
Bounce

No one would ever guess that was a rush job! It looks amazing!

How about Cardinal Tetras? They have more red on their bodies than neons and all the Cardinals that I have had were much hardier than the neons.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Celestial pearl danios can be very shy. Even when I had mine in a tank with a lot of cover and other schooling fish they rarely ventured out of the plants. Threadfins can be quite delicate fish, and may be bullied or out-competed for food by the tetras.

I think rummynose tetras would be best. They are apparently tight schoolers, and I imagine would be able to handle any competition with your other tetras. Plus when they are healthy and content their bright red heads are very striking.
Thanks! That's good to know about threadfins! That's a bummer about the pearl guys.. but I've read that also..

I'm really, really leaning towards the rummynoses! I saw them at the Boston aquarium and they were neat. Ideally I'll do better with my pristella tetras and get 3-4 more, and then get another school of 6 fish. (possibly the rummynose guys) I really need more action in the mid-top level of my tank for sure.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #5 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
No one would ever guess that was a rush job! It looks amazing!

How about Cardinal Tetras? They have more red on their bodies than neons and all the Cardinals that I have had were much hardier than the neons.
Thank you!

Cardinals are also a great option! I have a lot of good options for sure :)