Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #1 
inactiat

Stocking Advice?

Hi! I just upgraded my male betta, Tony, and his corydora buddies to a 30 gallon. It's filtered and heated at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. It's heavily planted planted tank with many hiding places ( some pictures over here: http://bettablogging.tumblr.com/post...-from-you-guys ).

For the record, my male betta is pretty docile and has previously lived with other schooling fish with no issues. However, my tank was much too warm for the white clouds I had with him previously, so I re-homed them somewhere cooler.

Since there's much more room for my little guys, I was going to get them some oto buddies, then I sort of ran into a wall. I was hoping to get some Harlequin Rasboras, but after calling just about every fish store in the tri-state area (Indiana-Kentucky-Ohio, so if you know any places around those tri-state corners I missed, I'd love to know!) it seems like no one has them.

So now I'm out of ideas for a shoaling fish to add in with bettas. My list of can't-dos:
  • White Cloud Mountain Minnows
  • Tetras of any kind
  • Harlequin Rasboras (Unless anyone knows a place in the tri-state area)
  • Bottom Dwellers
  • Danios
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
inactiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

Why can't you do tetras of any kind??

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #3 
inactiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Why can't you do tetras of any kind??

As a member of the piranha family, tetras are far too nippy to be kept with bettas, in my honest opinion, especially my guy who is like 90% fin. I know they're a popular freshwater fish, especially with bettas, so I added them to the list.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #4 
BettaNubRandyLove

How about some nice platies. They are generally from my experience a pretty tolerant fish.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #5 
Kalari32

What about some guppies? (:
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 
inactiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaNubRandyLove View Post
How about some nice platies. They are generally from my experience a pretty tolerant fish.
I've heard a lot of bad things about keeping platys with bettas. Even usually docile bettas can gulp them down. Plays themselves can also be aggressive fin nippers. Platys also prefer water conditions the opposite of what bettas like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalari32 View Post
What about some guppies? (:
Fancy guppies are out of the question. Though I have been considering feeder/wild types. The risk of disease even with a QT for a couple weeks is what concerns me the most. =(
Old 07-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by inactiat View Post
As a member of the piranha family, tetras are far too nippy to be kept with bettas, in my honest opinion, especially my guy who is like 90% fin. I know they're a popular freshwater fish, especially with bettas, so I added them to the list.
Well, you've got it a little backwards - piranhas are in the tetra family.

By and large, tetras are not that nippy in my experience. I have kept some species that were, but most are not. Too, nippiness has a lot to do with circumstances. Your tank would be plenty large to keep proper schools, and for fish to have space.

When I had my 30, the betta was in there with black neons, orange flame and regular neon tetras.

You are certainly welcome to not want to "risk" it, but I don't think it's right to say that tetras are far too nippy just because they are related to piranhas, or because a few species happen to be. The same thing happens with barbs - because tiger barbs are aggressive, people will say that all barbs are aggressive, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Or because certain dog breeds "are aggressive" therefore all breeds are aggressive. Generally such blanket statements are not that accurate.

Bettas can eat platy fry, but not the platys themselves.

jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I agree with platies or guppies. Guppies and bettas are surprisingly good tankmates IME... Qt them for at least a month and they'll be fine.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote