Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #1 
bettagirl110299

Betta with newt?

i got a betta in a 10 gallon tank. I was wondering if i can put a firebelly newt Or paddletail newt in with my betta? The tank usually is between 78-82
bettagirl110299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Aren't newts cold water animals?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #3 
ashleigheperry

Newts and bettas are not compatible under any circumstances. Newts require a water temperature of less than 70 degrees, (75 is high enough to stress and kill them). Many newts actually require a water chiller. Bettas need 75-80. I know this doesn't sound like a huge difference but it's the difference between life and death for the fish and newt. The newt is also likely to attack and kill the betta, even if the two live harmoniously for months or years. It will eventually see the fish as food.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #4 
Laki

You can try adding a pair of African Dwarf Frogs. They can live together but you need to be careful about feeding the frogs bc bettas have better eyesight :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #5 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
You can try adding a pair of African Dwarf Frogs. They can live together but you need to be careful about feeding the frogs bc bettas have better eyesight :)
Pair being key. The frogs live in groups :) I feed my betta floating food, and the frogs sinking pellets, so they go away from each other during feeding time. :)
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylerwin View Post
Pair being key. The frogs live in groups :) I feed my betta floating food, and the frogs sinking pellets, so they go away from each other during feeding time. :)
I don't think they "have" to live in groups. All the research I did when I got my Beatrix and Beatrix (one died, I don't know which one so I named them both Beatrix) said they were content to live alone. My Beatrix lived for about a day with Beatrix before she died. So Beatrix has been alone for a couple months now, and she seems content and happy.

Ha! I just reread that, if you can follow it thumps up to you.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

IME adfs don't have to live in groups but they do interact with each other. I used to have a pair, but one died... Now I only have one and he is happy by himself. That being said, if I had the room I would not keep them alone.

As for the newt, I agree with everyone else.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #8 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
IME adfs don't have to live in groups but they do interact with each other. I used to have a pair, but one died... Now I only have one and he is happy by himself. That being said, if I had the room I would not keep them alone.

As for the newt, I agree with everyone else.
I guess. But they are certainly more entertaining in groups. Mine sing, which sounds like a high pitched hum/buzz, but it's funny when the male attempts to mate and grabs the female upside down. You can totally tell the female is like, "uhhhhh, hey, you're doing it wrong again."
Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #9 
Laki

Does the song of their people annoy bettas or other fish in the tank? There's no swimming away for peace, like there would be in the wild.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #10 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Does the song of their people annoy bettas or other fish in the tank? There's no swimming away for peace, like there would be in the wild.
I don't think so, and it's not loud and neither does it last very long. My betta is so docile and chill, I might even go as far as calling him a hippie. "Naaah brah, it's cool"