Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #1 
Saber

Optimal setup for a "hospital" tank?

My mom mentioned that there is a betta at her workplace that is kept in a 5 gallon tank, and of course, who ever has the job of cleaning the tank never does it, so others do it when they can, but she says the betta's fins are short and shredded (though he is active and eats a lot.) She's going to ask if she can take him home so we can take better care of him here.

I haven't seen the fish in person yet, but it sounds like he has fin rot from poor water conditions. I am wondering what the best set up would be for a hospital tank for him. Would his 5 gallon be okay, or should I purchase something smaller for him so it would be easier for him to get around while he heals?
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #2 
Freyja
Banned

Smaller (1G) would be better since part of treating fin rot is doing daily 100% wc so that water conditions are pristine.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #3 
NorthernLights

It still needs a heater and some decor so the fish can hide. My Hydor Theo 25 watt works fine in my 1 gallon (it's closer to 0.75 gallon, actually), and I have a couple of small silk plants in there so my fish has a place to hide.
NorthernLights is online now   Reply With Quote