Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5G
What temperature is your tank? 80-82
Does your tank have a filter? A hydro mini sponge filter with air stone
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A Marimo Moss ball

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets, Omega Bloodworms, and some times Omega Brine shrimp (rarely though)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day (approx 2-3 pellets each time), fasting Saturday and only one feed Friday and Sunday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% with vacuuming the bottom well every 3-4 days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat with tap water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8 maybe 8.2
Hardness: 150
Alkalinity: 180? Seems very alkaline. Have thought of trying ph-??

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Keeps losing fins like shredded not lost in chunks.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Never has changed, swims a lot and seems happy.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since I bought him

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I've tried Maracyn 2, and have tried him twice with it. His fins are getting better and show new growth but a new area (not the area with growth) seems to have rot while the old area is healing? And I think his eye changes all the time. Sometimes is bulging sometimes it looks like its getting better (and almost looks like a hole/cave in his eye). It's weird. He has always had "buggy eyes". I took a pic above but no pine cone look that I see?

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Since I've bought him, same story.

How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure but I've had him for two months.

Help!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance! I will upload some pics.

Jen
BeansJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2 
Bailmint

I'm not an expert but I think you should start by doing a full water change and vacuum the rocks. And add water conditioner because tap can contain chlorine which isn't exactly good for a betta.. And keep adding stress coat. That's all I got.
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #3 
Bailmint

I mean like add it with the water changes.. I wouldn't add more than you usually do.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #4 
Bailmint

I don't think you can do much for Popeye.. I would wait for a more experienced betta owner to help you with popeye.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #5 
BeansJDS

Here is one pic, can kinda see the eye and his fins. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  51.8 KB
Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #6 
BeansJDS

His healing fins which show clear re growth are the top tail fins. His bottom dorsal fin is the one that now looks like its shredding in spots.

His eye has really never changed even with the two doses of treatments. But it sometimes looks like it goes in and out like a half bubble and can change from morning to night?

I have done 100%s changes with the meds and between the med 5 day cycles but since putting in a filter it really hasn't seemed necessary so I have done 50% changes. I could increase those?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #7 
Bailmint

I can't do much about the eye because I don't know much about betta eyes but I'm sure someone else on the forum does and will help soon, but I know a bit about fins. I see some plants in the background, are they fake? If they are they can tear fins up..
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #8 
BeansJDS

Good idea on the plants all are silk and very soft, I have no plastic plants just one leaf hammock. Pretty sure no issues on any of the plants, but I could remove them.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #9 
Bailmint

A few leaf hammocks have wire in the leaves, if yours has one, remove it because the wire will rust and make the water toxic.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

I can't see the photo until I get on my regular computer..... but popeye is often treated with Epsom salt at first, followed by - or administered simultaneously - with an antibiotic. Since you've had him on the Maracyn 2, I would try using Epsom salt.

Prepare a "treatment solution" by dissolving 3 teaspoons Epsom salt into 1 gallon of water. Add conditioner. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved.

Using this solution, do a series of four 25% water changes. Wait 15 - 30 minutes between each change.

Tomorrow, prepare a new solution, using 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon of water. Add conditioner. Do a 50% water change. Continue doing 50% water changes every other day, maintaining a dosage of 1 tsp Epsom salt per gal for 10-14 days, if needed.

The water changes will help remove bacteria and toxins from the water. The Epsom salt will help relieve swelling and fluid retention in the eye. It also has minor antibacterial properties, so it may help his fins too.

If the popeye continues beyond about 2 days, or if it gets worse at any time, you may need to try a different antibiotic or antifungal med. (Epsom salt and antibiotics can be used together.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote