Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #11 
BeansJDS

Okay so to do the treatment, I do the following:

*Put Betta in a 1G QT tank with a heater with his current tank water
*I mix up the first round of ES treatment above in a 1G jug (3tsp dissolved with 1G water and then add conditioner) with some oak leaves too if I have them? Say 20 crushed per gallon or just skip that?
*I do 25% changes with the treated water every 15-30 minutes till the gallon jug is empty and he is in his the treated 1G QT tank.
*Day 2 through 10-14 - mix 1tsp ES with water and conditioner and oak leaves but do 50% water changes every day or every other day
*Feed him as normal with healthy food for the 14 days (including fasting every 6 days)
*Day 14ish - put him back into his clean 2.5G tank that has been cycling while he was in the QT tank?

Is this right? My only other question is API stress coat, should I add that too?

Thanks much.
BeansJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

You can either treat him in the 1 gal QT tank, or keep him in the 2.5 gal tank for treatment. Either way is fine.

Yes, absolutely. If you have crushed oak leaves, by all means, use them. Tannins have some antimicrobial properties, and will slightly acidify the water (which helps neutralize ammonia).

When doing the water changes, if you need more Epsom salt treatment solution, just mix more up.

You don't need to keep him in the Epsom salt for 14 days. That's just a suggested "definite ending point." If he's completely better in a week, you can end treatment then.

You'll need a water conditioner. If you use API Stress Coat, then yes, add the 'regular' required dosage.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #13 
BeansJDS

Got it, thanks! So far I have seen some improvement already on the eye itself looks like less of a bubble but from the top view no change yet.

I'll post an after picture.
BeansJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Glad to hear he's looking better. If needed, after 12 hrs, you can increase the Epsom salt to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote