Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #1 
lailamar

BORIS my new betta fish.... I hope he loves me..... help

Got my new betta fish.... I read all the care and as much info in this forum as I could get.... but i have couple questions:

we do have a soft water in the house (chlorine free) quality like bottle water.... so my betta swims there.... do I still have to put the liquid given by the pet store after every water change? or not?....

also

food.... the lady from pet store gave me box of fleakes for betta fish? are these wrong since somone said ... no flakes!??

plus

is my Boris happy with 2.5 gallon bowl in shape of pear? with warm water about 72-74 degrees? he seems active and on top of the water not at the bottom.....

also i kept boris happy with a live plant, a little cave statue and couple black huge pebbles at the bottom....

so far he is alive... and seem to be swimming up/down.....

but thsi is my 1st 24 hrs so please help me......

oh is is ok to get him a female betta?

i heard they are not so social... and like to be alone...

ty all!!!!

ps. i'll take all the advice i can get.... he is my 1st betta fish and i am already in love with him!

thank you.
lailamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #2 
Chicklet

Don't put a female in with him unless you want her dead, and if its a red mature one she's likely to kill him...
If your gonna try that you need a really big tank with lots and I do means lots of hiding places...
I really cannot stress this enough, 2.5 gallon is no way big enough for 2 betta's housed together...... plz don't.

an only flaked diet will most likely lead to bloat, if your gonna feed one food then betta pellets is probably one of the better choices...
I feed mostly frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp, peas with some flaked and freeze dried

Betta's like warmer temps of around 80 but will do ok in slightly lower temps

if the water your using has any chance of having Chlorine and Chloramine in it or heavy metals its a good idea to use the tap water conditioner, and its always a good idea to mix the water up several hours before using it

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-30-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. I'm not sure about the water situation if its chlorine free. You can feed flakes made for bettas or pellets. I use Hikari betta bio gold pellets.A 2 and 1/2 gallon container is fine.If you don't have a heater just keep him in the warmest part of the house.I would not put a female in with him. They will kill each other. Yes, they are solitary fish and IMO do best living alone. Good luck with your new betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #4 
Nataku

Welcome to fish forum!

It is better to be safe than sorry in the ways of water dechlorinators. A little bottle of it at the store is like three bucks, and treats like 400 gallons, that will keep you set for a long, long time and a lot of water changes. Which is well worth the cost in case one day that bottled water has something different in it. Don't be fooled into thinking just because it comes from the same type of bottle it's the same stuff. It's not. Bottle water companies often have several different plants where they bottle water. While one plant location may not have any heavy metals or chlorine in their water (face it guys, bottled water just comes out of the tap anyhow) another location may well have heavy metals or something in their water which is harmful to a fish, but not you. It still all ends up in the same brand, same bottle, same stores. How can you tell the difference? It's better to be safe than sorry... with a dead fish.

Water is still a bit cool for a betta, they are tropical fish, and prefer water over 76... 80 is often considered ideal. A tank heater is not a bad idea to look into.

Check the back of the label of those flakes you were given. Does lit list plant matter, wheat, soy meal in the ingredients? If so, this is not a good food for bettas. Bettas are carnivores, they like meat, they are not designed to eat plant matter like many other fish. It can cause them to become bloated and constipated, which is never a good thing. Betta pellets are a good thing to look for, and generally the most complete and nutritious of the foods you can get for a better.

Bettas are extremely territorial. This applies to both males and females of the species. They do not tolerate each other in 'their' territory, and two bettas stuck in the same tank (even a male and female) will fight over whose tank it really is.... and one of your fish will generally end up dead. Please don't get him a woman friend, bettas are perfectly happy being on their own. They are smart fish, and will react to your presence around the tank, so he will get stimulation and entertainment that way.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #5 
Nataku

Oh, and forgot to add - your water says chlorine free. Does it say chloramine free? Be careful about that. Many companies like to put that on their bottles saying that they don't have any chlorine (why do so many peole think chlorine is bad? It's really useful stuff! Helps prevents so many things from being spread), but instead put chloramine in their water - these are both to kill off bacteria of course, and are good for humans (whould you rather have a tiny (about 3 ppt) amount of chlorine, or cholera? Dysentary? Typhoid?), but both chlorine and chloramine are deadly to your fish. So, a water dechlorinator is generally a good investment. Check the bottle when you are at the store, most will say they are good for removing chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #6 
lailamar

Thank you!

Thank you very much for all great posts. Only clerification to the water issue: we do have a water sofner installed in our house, so there is 0% chlorine, or anything that is not good. We paid fortune for this thing 2 yrs ago and the tab water is excellent quality. No lead, any metals or anthing harmful. So far, i have my betta fish in it, and he seems to love it. I also change the water every second day as it's easy for me (2 gallons only). I am thinking of getting my boris an aquarium, even if only 4 gallons, and a heater to keep him super warm. Other than that I have to work on food as this is the issue I am still learning about. I will go to the store and get him pallets not flakes and try to get some ghost shrimps to treat him once a week at least.......
Let's hope this works. So far so goood.... but I still have a long way to learn! and by the way as soon as my Boris sees me he thinks I will feed him... haha... but i only do 2x or 1x per day - 2 flakes for now. That's it....
Next pallets will follow and i probably will stay with it.

thank you all for help! I appreciate it!
lailamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #7 
Nataku

Haha, bettas are little swimming pigs, and will beg for food any chance they get. Don't worry, in time and frequent interaction some bettas can be taught other tricks. Some people have taught their betta how to follow their finger around the tank, some have bettas that can jump on command, I've even seen a betta that's ben taught how to swim through a ring. Granted, these are all reward-based training systems (fine, I'll swim through the hoop, feed me now!) but it's good stimulus for them, makes them use those tiny litttle fishy brains.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #8 
parakeeto225

Cool...maybe I'll just buy a betta!
parakeeto225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

They ARE pretty smart. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #10 
dukie1346

Well, it seems as if you have the info u need on your new betta! Good Luck and Congratz on your new friend.
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote