Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wonder if it would help any, if, before setting up a sorority, you could have the females, in separate containers, of course, in full view of each other. Then that way, they could get used to each other before putting them together.Would that work?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #12 
Chicklet

I don't think there's any hard and fast rules to keeping betta's together,
I had 20 gallons, 10 gallons, 5 gallons, and 2 1/2 gallons I used mostly.

You never truly knew what to expect, Some tanks fought and seemed to settle down for weeks, Then boom came home to a disaster strike,

A calm male for weeks with 4 females, walked away for abit and remember I made dog biscuits, Came back and a red female was finishing off a beautiful male crown tail, I was shocked, was my first male casualty,
another group of about 8 females, The red females had been younger when I put them together, Thought they'd grow together and so it seemed to be working out good for quite some time, Then it turned deadly in mins, I had to do some fast separating and still ended up loosing several they were beat up so badly.

It took me alot of experimenting with different females to get a few that have remained together good.
The more you put together the worse your odds seemed to be,

I found red females the worst figters, Many would actually hunt down a female and not stop until she either killed it or ended up dying herself.. Didn't seem to make much differece with lots of hiding places or not,,,
The Deep blue females were the second worst figters, Seemed for me the lighter colored the females the less troubles....

Right now I have 2 females in a 2 1/2 gallon tank that gets along great, Took me a long time to get their compatibility worked out, I tried adding other females I have and its a no go, So they remain together with no troubles. I do have another bunch, 4 females in a 10 gallon with lots of hiding places that seems to be doing ok, But again it took some time to get the 4 thats compatible with each other, Its usually easy to see the pecking order,

I won't ever experiment with my male bettas again, just to risky and I feel so sick when I loose one of them....

The best I ever came to was no more then 4 females to ea 10 gallon tank....
and of all my females I only have the two that will go peacefully in a 2 1/2 gallon, I could get no other two to go for that small a tank....

Feeding time well you knew who the boss was..,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #13 
veganchick

thats sad, how cum u didn't seperate them?
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #14 
Chicklet

I did separate, sometimes it made no difference, the damage was done,
the two females in the pictures are alive and fine, But I've had others not so lucky, damage can be done rather quickly despite your efforts to separate them
Old 04-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #15 
Nataku

DramaQueen - I have quarantine tanks, and I intend upon quarantining all of them before they get introduced to each other in the main tank (even though most of them will probably come from the same store and probably would all have the same disease(s), but that's neither here nor there) so I'll stick them next to each other.

Thank you for all the information Chicklet!
This gives me some new things to think about certainly while I'm planning out a soroity of my own. Although if it doesn't work out and I get females that just won't get along, I'm not too terribly worried, I have enough tanks to separate them in, and I can always divide the tank just like I've done with the males (I've been pondering the possibility of splitting a 10 gallon tank in four parts instead of the usual two, by my admittedly poor math that would give them each about 2.5 gallons). Although I'm hopping it won't come to that.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #16 
Chicklet

That's one reason I don't mess with that to much any more, Despite my saying I'm not gonna let it bother me, It does!

One thing outta it all, When I buy a new female I can usually tell the real devils just by observing them when there alone for a few weeks,
& no I don't think it's something I could explain, Its just the body language or something, and I'm usually right.

Just something I always had abit of a nack for since I was young..
Grew up on a big farm and loved to just observe the animals inter reacting with each other,
Got so I could tell you who had a problem or so..
My husband can't figure it out...
I don't mess with big animals to much anymore, Went into his Turkey pin one time, Couple mins and I pointed out three turkeys, Told him they were gonna die, He said no way, a hour later he had three dead turkeys,
Don't understand it and can't explain it, just knew.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #17 
Chicklet

I wish you luck, Nataku
Old 04-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I always thought that the more females you have together, the more it spreads out the aggression. I guess that's not necessarily true.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #19 
fishyinpa

oh wow...sorry about the ones you lost...i was contemplating a female tank but that kinda makes me not want to even try! i think i will leave my bella by herself.

i did notice at my lfs a tank with females,and most haven bad fin damage. there were red in there and their fins were fine. i felt bad for the other ones getting picked on.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #20 
Chicklet

I have read on the internet where there is some strains of Betta's that don't fight and you can even keep the males and females together in pairs, But I ain't never found any around here like that..