Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I ordered my heater online. I think it was $18 or something like that but I also paid a $9.99 shipping charge. I didn't have any choice though, because my lfs didn't have what I wanted.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #12 
Indefinitive

Eep. Now I'm afraid to keep Gregory in there. Is it safe to take him out and put him in a temporary tank while this one cycles?

I'm beginning to get rather frustrated with my heater. It got to 84 last night and so I turned it down, and it dropped to 72 in the night. I'm terrified for the stress it may be causing him.
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would put him in a temporary home until the tank cycles. I take it that your heater isn't adjustable?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #14 
Indefinitive

It is adjustable, but the only way I know is with a little knob that says 'Higher' and 'Lower'. I never know how much is too much.

I'm going to go and get him a container from work today.

Also, I'm a little worried. He hasn't eaten since before I brought him home yesterday afternoon. He is ignoring his food. Is this normal when you bring them home?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, its pretty normal for a betta to not eat while it is adjusting to its new surroundings. Give it a few days. Just keep offering him food every day. Bettas can also be picky eaters. I've never had a problem with mine not eating. They have always eaten like little pigs when I brought them home. lol My heater has actual numbers on it so I can set it to 78 or whatever. I think with a knob that just says hi and low, it would be very hard to set the temperature.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #16 
Indefinitive

I think it may also be the food. When I bought the tank from my co-worker, she threw in a small container of fish flakes. The container looks years old, so it'd probably be all stale and gross by now. I'm going to the store in a little while to buy some new food.

Also rearranged his tank while I was changing the water. Woke up this morning and found a tiny tear in one of his fins and I think it was the plants. I put A LOT of plants in there, so I ended up taking some out. He seems to like it a bit more.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Get a good pellet food. Yeah, those flakes were probably no good.There are a lot of pellet foods to choose from. I use Hikari betta bio gold. I like them because they float.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #18 
Indefinitive

I'll keep an eye out for them.

I'm off to the mall to grab some more stuff for Gregory. Thanks for your help, Drama. =)
Old 04-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome! :)
Old 04-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #20 
Indefinitive

Wasn't able to find the heater. I'll probably have to go to a different store for it. Got some pellets and some blood worms, though.

I put some bloodworms in the tank and wasn't sure if I had a fish or a pig. He devoured them in about two minutes.

He's looking like he really likes it. The temperature is good, he's been fed, I changed his water, and tested the water. He's looking a lot healthier than yesterday.

Well, I guess anything is better than looking dead. When I saw him, I almost turned around and told the guy working there that they had a dead fish, but he started swimming in circles and bumping the sides of the cup when I went to get a better look. It was really cute.