Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #1 
jeano

Question on water changes to heal fins after fight

Two days ago I did a 50 percent water change on my 10 gallon divided tank that has 7 live plants and is currently cycling. Rico jumped the divider while I was at work and shredded Norman's fins pretty bad. Rico has a split fin from flaring I assume. My daughter caught this early and separated them and when I got home I added some stress coat. The ammonia this morning is <.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0

So I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I do another 50 percent change today and every other day until their fins heal? Or should I just do my two 50 percent per week as long as the ammonia is below .25?

2. Can I use Stress Coat and Prime at the same time if I do the water change today?

3. When you have a divided tank, do you try and take water from both sides, or does it matter. It is divided with a DIY mesh(that was pretty simple and fun to make).

Thanks for the help. They are acting normally, eating great(added Omega One yesterday in addition to their NLS, they LOVE the Omega One).
jeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeano View Post
Two days ago I did a 50 percent water change on my 10 gallon divided tank that has 7 live plants and is currently cycling. Rico jumped the divider while I was at work and shredded Norman's fins pretty bad. Rico has a split fin from flaring I assume. My daughter caught this early and separated them and when I got home I added some stress coat. The ammonia this morning is <.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0

So I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I do another 50 percent change today and every other day until their fins heal? Or should I just do my two 50 percent per week as long as the ammonia is below .25?
Do the water changes as you normally would per your test results.
2. Can I use Stress Coat and Prime at the same time if I do the water change today?
Yes you can both at the same time.
3. When you have a divided tank, do you try and take water from both sides, or does it matter. It is divided with a DIY mesh(that was pretty simple and fun to make).
I don't have divided tanks but I would vacuum one side one week & the other the next week. The water level should go down on both sides of the divider because its mesh.
Thanks for the help. They are acting normally, eating great(added Omega One yesterday in addition to their NLS, they LOVE the Omega One).
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 
jeano

Just wanted to update on Norman's fins. I noticed tonight that he has little pinholes in his fins. I didn't notice these before, but I might have missed them. Where the big chunks are missing I see new growth(clear filling in). I do not see any black around the edges anywhere. Could these pinholes just be damage from Rico?

I tried to get a picture but he wasn't cooperating. This is the best one where you can kinda see the holes and of course the chunks missing.
Name:  IMG_20130720_203146.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  42.9 KB

The perpetrator, Rico
Name:  IMG_20130718_190751.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  90.0 KB
Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #4 
jeano

Anybody?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #5 
peachii

He's stressed and tattered from jumping over the divider. Most times fins deterorate due to bad water quality - if you have ammonia in the water, you should be doing daily water changes (or even more often) until the tank cycles and it is gone. Ammonia is toxic to fish and will eat a bettas fins up.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote