Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 
IndigoChild311

Good spawn?

I'm in no way ready to breed bettas, but I was wondering if I have the basic idea. Here are two platinum white halfmoon plakats, I found on aquabid. I thought they would make a nice spawn. I believe that the male doesn't have the best topline and his the color in his finnage could be more thorough and the female appears to have a good topline and good coloration throughout her body which would balance out the male's flaws. What do you think? Any advice for a novice? I want to breed one day.
Attached Images

IndigoChild311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #2 
PetMania

I have never bred bettas before, but I have done a ton of research. Are you trying to get the same color, same look as the parents? If so, I think you have the gene down right.
I think they would make a good spawn :)
Do you have any questions about breeding?
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #3 
IndigoChild311

yes I am, a good clean looking white platinum maybe for showing? I thought they looked good.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #4 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoChild311 View Post
yes I am, a good clean looking white platinum maybe for showing? I thought they looked good.
From what I hear, if you want to breed show bettas, which will be fun :), you need to know their background. Do you know where these 2 bettas came from?
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #5 
IndigoChild311

I believe they're both from Thailand, I just found them on aquabid, not planning on purchasing or breeding until I move out on my own.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You have the right idea. This pair should produce nice offspring - they compliment each others flaws. Never the less you will have to selectively breed further until you produce perfect color and form.

Something often overlooked is the ventrals . . . when buying young bettas, DO NOT buy the ones that show possible splitting (look at male). His ventrals will split as he gets older. If you use such males (as we often have no other choice) carefully select better form for further breeding and hope you can breed out those splitting genes.

The female has tiny spikes on her fins. You want to get rid of that too. So breed F1 with clean outer fins (like the male). A round perfect "D" shaped caudal is preferred (like the female) - not spade shaped caudal.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #7 
Deanna01

Yeah, the male I just bred has split ventrals, too. I will have to be careful with the offspring, I know...
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, halfmoon plakat, platinum