Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #91 
FirstBetta

I think the key is PROPER CARE whether in a 1 gal or 100 gal. Proper care means proper temp, clean water, and proper food.

I personally chose a 5.5 because it is easier to take care of. Since I'm well along in years, some days I have difficulty locomoting which could cause a WC to slip a day, it is less of a problem w/ a 5.5 than a 1 0r 2.5. I also don't have the room for another 10 that I use as my QT.

Let me say again, it is a personal decision. As long as the proper care is given it frankly is nobody else's business what decision is made.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #92 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBetta View Post
I think the key is PROPER CARE whether in a 1 gal or 100 gal. Proper care means proper temp, clean water, and proper food.
I keep seeing this said over and over again. So what you and the others are saying is that it doesn't matter what size tank you keep a fish in, as long as all those other needs are met? As if proper care doesn't include providing a properly sized tank.

So why not keep a platy in a 1 gallon container? Or a ram? Why even bother with minimum tank sizes when all that's important is food, water temp and water quality?

My point is that it's awfully convenient that tank size is not being included in PROPER CARE. The way I see it, it's like getting a report card and getting all A's and an F - the A's don't make the F okay.

Show tanks 125, 125, 90, 10, 5
QTs 2x29, 2x20
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #93 
FishyFishy89

There is NO min tank size set for bettas. So yes, if proper care is given and the betta is clearly thriving a 1 gallon tank would do fine.

That said, I am only comfortable with using a 5 gallon tank as my betta's long term home.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #94 
CritterNut

I'm generally in agreement with most of what people are saying. I think fish are different. My personal minimum is 1.5. When I first got Puff in college I got him a little 1 gallon and he just sulked all day. I bumped him up to a 1.7 to see if space was the issue before going out and buying some big tank, and he was quite active. now he circles his bowl and hides under his little decoration and presses his face, which is magnified by the bowl, up against the glass to glare at me when he is ready for feeding. His personality just blossomed!

When I got my orchid betta I had to keep him in that same 1 gallon for a while, because I was cycling the 2.5. and he was active and happy as could be for the 4 or so days he was in there. I did frequent water changes of course, as is the way with 1 gallons. When I moved him to the 2.5 he acted exactly the same, doing his little patrols, hiding in the plants, etc. Something I do though when dealing with smaller tanks, is not clutter the tank. My 1 gallon had a small bridge for the betta to hide under, and one Java fern. My 2.5 has 2 ferns and a larger "skull" thing for the fish to hide in. I think an important thing to consider with the smaller tanks is not to excessively decorate so the fish has room to swim around.

My recent halfmoon plakat elephant ear arrival was meant to share a 5 gallon with another male. Since he arrived first I put him into the 5 gallon without the divider, and he is happy as a lark. He's extremely active. I've only had him a few days, but he's not stressing, he seems to be enjoying himself! I will probably try to do the divider, but if my little EE seems disheartened by less space, I'll get another tank and let him have his five gallon.

On the other hand, the mustard is currently residing in my 10 gallon, which is a future sorority, while I prepare his 2.5. He is freaking out. Constant darting, he looks stressed, and earlier I leaned down to look at him, he turned around, saw me and went streaking off to hide. When he's not darting, he's hiding. I plan to see how he likes the 2.5 in comparison.

Because of these experiences I think tank size is dependent on fish, and the owners must be responsible enough to observe their pets and provide what they need, even if it means upgrading.

The biggest part of proper care is understanding the needs of your individual fish. If you're a vigilant owner, you'll be able to tell when something isn't right, and then you can take the steps needed to improve.
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #95 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
There is NO min tank size set for bettas.
virtually every source on keeping bettas says otherwise...

Everyone agrees that there is a minimum, whether that's a pint, a quart, a gallon, 2.5 gallons or more. People just disagree on what that minimum is. It's no different than with any other fish.

Well, there is a difference.... People generally don't get rude and insulting when discussing minimum tank sizes for other fish...

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #96 
CritterNut

People can become agitated about animal husbandry of any kind. People are very passionate about their pets and what they feel is right for them. I don't think anyone is trying to be rude or insulting here. :)
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #97 
LebronTheBetta

Can we all just say there is no "minimum"? Everyone has their experiences and opinions, each are different in some way. IMO people aren't being insulted or rude, they're just blunt to get their point across to other people. :D

Do you know what's really weird? 1-4 gallon unfiltered tanks need the same amount of care.. At least 1 100% and 1 50% each week. People may do "3 50%" or "2 100%" but it's all the same, you know? It's just the space difference.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #98 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post

Well, there is a difference.... People generally don't get rude and insulting when discussing minimum tank sizes for other fish...

Sent from Petguide.com App
I believe that is because there is more of a wide range of people owning bettas, than one owning....say cichlids.

I've seen more children and teens owning bettas. With every other species, I see a larger range of adults, which sorta helps keep the maturity level.

And seeing as every site claims a different min tank say, I've come to a conclusion that there really is no tank size min with bettas. Only the one that I am comfortable with, but I don't push my min tank size on someone else.

That being said, I certainly will stand up for the other fish who have a min tank size for very good reasons. IE schooling, adult size, swimming behavior etc.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #99 
Anime Fish

I don't know if this has already been said, but I think the forum needs to stick to a bare-minimum and a recommended-minimum, perhaps it can reduce some arguments. :)

There needs to be guidelines because when a newbie hears "the bigger the better," they'll likely just stick to the minimum and not bother with upgrading because there would be just one minimum tank size rule of 2.5 gallons and they'll think it's big enough for a betta to be comfortable. Plus, not a lot of people want a giant tank covering their tables and desks. The bare-minimum (just as examples) can be 2.5 gallons and the recommended minimum can be 5 gallons, this gives a bit more information to a new person and it's saying a 2.5 gallon tank is okay, but a 5 gallon would be the best for your betta, the sizes between these tanks aren't a big jump nor are very large in surface area. Again, these are example minimums. :)
Anime Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #100 
avraptorhal

The forum is a place for people to share their feelings and experience with their pets. It isn't the forums place to simply say that a 1, 2.5, 5.5, 10, or 15 is the minimum for you or me. As I said in my previous post there are many factors in the decision about the way they will take care of their pet.

The forum can forcibly recommend that a certain size is preferable and state the reasons for it to allow the aquarist to make their own decisions. If something comes up later that hinges on tank size there is a teaching moment.
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank size