Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #21 
Elsewhere

I personally could never keep a Betta permanently in anything smaller than a 5g- I am terrible with remembering water changes, and that small of a tank seems like too much maintenance for me! I've had smaller girls that needed to be quarantined until they get bigger for my sorority, and they cower in a corner of anything bigger than a 2.5g (that's the smallest I can currently heat) and refused to even move in my 30g until they were much bigger.

But my one guy, Pigg, is in a 2.5g for fin rot right now and keeps looking at me like he's living in his own personal hell, because all he does in his split 10g is patrol the territory and look absolutely contented with himself.

In my opinion, if you want a small tank, go for it! All the best to you! But as for my fish, as far as I've seen they enjoy 5g (preferably ten, but I don't have that kind of space) as their own minimum.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #22 
shannonpwns

Threads like this are just asking for trouble and hurt feelings haha.

My 4 Bettas are all in 2 gal tanks right now, and all seem happy...just more frequent water changes, which I have no problem doing because I'm a stay at home mom.

Please don't take this the wrong way, it's meant as a light hearted joke, but, Elsewhere, maybe your boy is miserable because of his fin rot, and not the smaller tank? Lol. I know I'd be pretty uncomfortable if my arms and legs were rotting off lmbo.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #23 
ForbiddenSecrets

My personal minimum is 2.5 gallons. I think it gives the betta room to swim and to have some decorations to roam around. I believe that they can survive well in 1 gallon tanks with the right owner but I, in only a personal opinion, think that giving them a more varied environment is better.

Mind you, however, I only have one tank these days and its a 29 gallon community with a female betta.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #24 
Catw0man

Just thought I'd provide the link to another long-standing thread that discusses the tank-size issue: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=117828
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #25 
Flyby Stardancer

I think it depends on the person, on the fish, and on the tank. In general, I think 2.5 is acceptable, but if you have the money and space you really should get a 5 gallon minimum.

I currently have a fish in a 5 gallon, and a baby fish in a 2 gallon. When I look at the 2 gallon, I can't imagine using it as a permanent home, it's so tiny! I also have a 2.5 gallon hex tank that I'm planning on fixing and setting up, and it looks a LOT larger than 2.5 gallons to me. I'm thinking of using it as a shrimp tank, but I might end up putting a fish in it.

That's where I fall on the scale. :) If someone has a tiny tank, I'll suggest going with at least 2.5 gallons, but I'm not going to keep pushing it if someone doesn't want to listen. It's just not worth the worry and stress, and it's not my tank or fish.

Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 07-18-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #26 
Skyewillow

A 1.5-3 gal is easier to sterilize. A 5 gal is easier to treat illness in than a 1.5, 10 (or multiples of 10) are easiest, because everything seems to come in 10 gal doses.

There are pros and cons to each, most of my males are in 1.5's. I do have a male who thinks 2.5 gallons is way too much space, he'll hide in a corner and refuse to eat. It does depend entirely on the individual's personality.

I prefer more space for the boys who can handle it, and plan on letting my spaz choose what is comfortable for him once we move and setup a barracks system.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #27 
horsenumber2

I kept my betta fish in a 1 gallon and he was fine. There was a plant and a filter in there on top of it. He didn't seem to mind it, and I didn't see the need in a bigger one that would just be a waste of space that he wouldn't use because he didn't swim around much. Yeah, you had to clean it more, but it was fine and he stayed healthy most of the time.
horsenumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #28 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsenumber2 View Post
I kept my betta fish in a 1 gallon and he was fine. There was a plant and a filter in there on top of it. He didn't seem to mind it, and I didn't see the need in a bigger one that would just be a waste of space that he wouldn't use because he didn't swim around much. Yeah, you had to clean it more, but it was fine and he stayed healthy most of the time.
So what you are saying is that the fish was fine in the 1 gallon container, even though it was largely inactive and got sick from time to time. Too, how much swimming do you expect to take place in a 1 gallon? Just a thought, but perhaps the fish did not swim around much because there was nowhere to swim..... perhaps it didn't swim around because it was not happy being kept in such a small container. Look, I've never seen your fish - I am not going to claim to know anything about it. However.... the information you provided indicates that the fish was not fine, unless by fine you mean breathing.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

I kept mine in anything from 1 to 2.5 gallons. I tried to put the smaller ones in the 1 gallons. My next batch of fish hopefully will be in 1.5 to 5 gallons.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #30 
FishyFishy89

I've had tanks as small as .5 gallons up to 100 gallons. Bigger tanks are DEFINITELY easier to do up keep on.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank size