Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #31 
Starbelly

I recently upgraded our big tough red vt from a 1 gallon to a 2, we thought he would love it, but he freaked out. He would alternate darting up and down the tank walls and hovering at the top all clamped up. We moved him back to his small home by the end of the day. Back in the 1 gallon he was normal again. So is bigger better? According to my betta it's really not.
Starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #32 
LebronTheBetta

As said from other people, it really depends on the betta. He should've loved the new tank, I wonder why he didn't like it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #33 
Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, it's meant as a light hearted joke, but, Elsewhere, maybe your boy is miserable because of his fin rot, and not the smaller tank? Lol. I know I'd be pretty uncomfortable if my arms and legs were rotting off lmbo.
Haha, yeah, he's pretty miserable because of that, but he was in one a while back when he was healthy and miserable then too.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #34 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I've had tanks as small as .5 gallons up to 100 gallons. Bigger tanks are DEFINITELY easier to do up keep on.
my 1.5's are easier for me, the changes I have to pull on the 30 and the 10 are usually to the tune of 5 gallons, which is 40 lbs of water and wrenches my back.. Big OUCH! the little tanks are easier to carry.

You're very right that water quality is easier to maintain in a larger tank though. I plan to upgrade my boys when we move, just because I think they'd like more room to wiggle, if you will.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #35 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
my 1.5's are easier for me, the changes I have to pull on the 30 and the 10 are usually to the tune of 5 gallons, which is 40 lbs of water and wrenches my back.. Big OUCH! the little tanks are easier to carry.
Why are you carrying water? There are much easier ways to move water! Use a pump for crying out loud Seriously though, I promise there is a much more efficient way to do your water changes. I'd be happy to help you figure something out. Back pain is no joke.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #36 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Why are you carrying water?
lol, because we're staying with family till we get back on our feet, and I have the feeling a python would not be appreciated snaking it's way from our tanks into the bathroom.

Because of my back pain though and how much safer the big tanks are, their changes slide a lot more than my little tanks do. The awesome part of my little tanks is that I don't have to wait around for my fiance to help me (he works 3rds)

Yea, back pain sucks... a LOT! Especially when the only hobby you thoroughly enjoy involves buckets and buckets of water! lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #37 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Any fish that live with me permanently get at least 2.5g to themselves, in a single tank or a divided 5. Most of them are cycled and all of them will be by the end of summer. Believe me, when you have tons of tanks, cycled tanks are so much easier (and most importantly much nicer for the fish). Yea, I breed... But I try to keep my fish as happy and healthy as possible.

That being said, if you are a bare minimum person who has no problem maintaining a one gallon, go for it. That's what I have always said is the minimum size. But believe me, the larger the tank, the better.

And Skye, don't fill up the bucket as much! Only take what you can handle without hurting yourself, even if that means more trips!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #38 
FishyFishy89

Id much rather deal with someone who's unhappy with my python than lug buckets around. But whatever works eh
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #39 
horsenumber2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
So what you are saying is that the fish was fine in the 1 gallon container, even though it was largely inactive and got sick from time to time. Too, how much swimming do you expect to take place in a 1 gallon? Just a thought, but perhaps the fish did not swim around much because there was nowhere to swim..... perhaps it didn't swim around because it was not happy being kept in such a small container. Look, I've never seen your fish - I am not going to claim to know anything about it. However.... the information you provided indicates that the fish was not fine, unless by fine you mean breathing.
By saying he was healthy most of the time meant that he was healthy up until he died. And there was plenty of room for him to swim around inside the tank. What is cruel is when people buy a one gallon tank and put a divider in it. That's who you should be complaining to, not me. He was hapoy and healthy and that's all I care about.
Posted via Mobile Device
horsenumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #40 
Shine

1? 2.5? 5? Betta's preference? So what's the verdict here?
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank size