Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #41 
Skyewillow

We actually have 3 different buckets for that reason. I can lug the 3gal without hurting myself too badly, so if I HAVE to do the waterchanges on the 30 and 10, I can without laying myself up for 2-3 days. Usually Mike does those two.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #42 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine View Post
1? 2.5? 5? Betta's preference? So what's the verdict here?
There isn't a definite verdict.

You could house a betta in a 1 gal, but you have to keep up on the waterchanges. It's easier to maintain water quality in something 2.5 gal or larger, it has the added benefit of the fish having more room to exercise.

Bettas who can't handle the space are the exception to the ideal.

Last edited by Skyewillow; 07-18-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #43 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsenumber2 View Post
By saying he was healthy most of the time meant that he was healthy up until he died. And there was plenty of room for him to swim around inside the tank. What is cruel is when people buy a one gallon tank and put a divider in it. That's who you should be complaining to, not me. He was hapoy and healthy and that's all I care about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Normally when people speak of their past fish, they say their fish were healthy. Not they were "healthy from time to time". The "healthy from time to time" statement says the fish bounced from illness to recovery a few times to often.

No one said you were cruel for keeping him in a 1 gallon. Jaysee was just stating that based off the behavior of inactivity, it's more than likely he was unhappy in his 1 gallon. Happy fish are active fish.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #44 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Happy fish are active fish.
+1
even if they're not constantly bouncing off of the walls, there should be a flurry of excitement when they see you.

One of my males recently hasn't felt well (bad ornament), and his enthusiasm had diminished until I fixed the issue, now he's back to trying to eat me through the tank wall when he sees me.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #45 
horsenumber2

Quote:
Normally when people speak of their past fish, they say their fish were healthy. Not they were "healthy from time to time". The "healthy from time to time" statement says the fish bounced from illness to recovery a few times to often.

No one said you were cruel for keeping him in a 1 gallon. Jaysee was just stating that based off the behavior of inactivity, it's more than likely he was unhappy in his 1 gallon. Happy fish are active fish.
I said mostly healthy which obviously means something different to me than you guys. When I got him at the pet store he was not as active or as aggressive as the other bettas, that's why I got him.

If she wasn't saying it was cruel, I'm sorry that is just how it felt to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
horsenumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #46 
horsenumber2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
+1
even if they're not constantly bouncing off of the walls, there should be a flurry of excitement when they see you.

One of my males recently hasn't felt well (bad ornament), and his enthusiasm had diminished until I fixed the issue, now he's back to trying to eat me through the tank wall when he sees me.
He was always active when people came near his tank, especially me. But he didnt just swim around his tank all day long is what I'm saying.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #47 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
He was always active when people came near his tank, especially me. But he didnt just swim around his tank all day long is what I'm saying.
My betta swims nearly all the time in his tank AND he's recovering from fungus/fin damage from being in PetsMart's cup.

If my fish aren't active without my company, something is wrong with them(or it's night time/they're resting) and they're likely trying to tell me or get more food to bump up their immune system.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #48 
horsenumber2

Quote:
My betta swims nearly all the time in his tank AND he's recovering from fungus/fin damage from being in PetsMart's cup.

If my fish aren't active without my company, something is wrong with them(or it's night time/they're resting) and they're likely trying to tell me or get more food to bump up their immune system.
And like I said, I bpught him because he wasn't one of the active ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #49 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
And like I said, I bpught him because he wasn't one of the active ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
And as I am saying inactive fish are unhappy and possibly ill. Note some fish like Loaches, Plecos and the like can have some reduced activity and still remain happy and healthy.

Activity level is one of the ways we can tell if fish are getting ill or needs aren't getting met. Bettas are a very active species of fish.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #50 
jaysee
Reference Team

The "got sick from time to time" was my paraphrasing of the original statement "he stayed healthy most of the time".

He stayed healthy most of the time means he was healthy till the day he died? I don't know, words have meanings and there appears to be a significant disconnect between the two. But whatever, it's not important.

No one is complaining about what you did. Cruel is relative. Is it worse to keep a fish in a half gallon than a gallon? Yeah I suppose it is. But, the fact that you can find things worse doesn't make something else any better.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank size