Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #1 
charminglyxdream

Unhappy Tiger: Redness in eye, won't eat, and won't leave his cave!!

I've had Tiger (my betta fish) for almost 5 months. So far tiger has been doing GREAT! Until a couple days ago, he sits on the countertop next to another aquarium that has my pink african clawed frog in it. I switched the tanks around because the frog likes it darker. Once I had switched the tanks around Tiger acted all upset and depressed. He wouldn't eat, he wouldn't swim around and all he would do is sit in his cave he has. 100% of the time he would swim up as soon as you were getting ready to feed him and he would follow your finger and now he won't do anything! I switched them back around, but he still acted the same way.
This has been going on for 2 days, but today I had to move him to another room due to painting that will be going on in the room he is housed. He still won't eat and he still won't do anything. He just sits in the bottom acting all depressed. But today I saw a red lining around his eye. No clue what it is, have never seen it before. He was also hitting the pebbles at the bottom of the tank and they only time he swims around is when he is mad and he has his gills out in attack mode. I was reading on the web, at first I thought he was depressed (which still could be the case) but then I saw this red lining around his eye and it is really freaking me out because I'm thinking he has everything in the book.

I uploaded pictures to show the redness around his eye, some of them didn't come out too well especially since the lighting is so poor but you can tell the difference how one eye is fine and the other one is all red.

Any advice would be great! Thank you!

charminglyxdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

That is Popeye. You are going to need to get some Epsom salt from your local pharmacy. You will treat with 1 tsp per g. Predissolve it in a cup of tank water, or a bottle of spring water or tank water. Follow up in a few days, and let us know what his eye is looking like.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #3 
charminglyxdream

Should I put him into a smaller tank and change his water every day or keep him in the water for a couple of days without changing it? He's in a 2.5 gallon tank right now and he's by himself just a frog tank next door thats all. Is there anything I can do to prevent him from getting this again?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminglyxdream View Post
Should I put him into a smaller tank and change his water every day or keep him in the water for a couple of days without changing it? He's in a 2.5 gallon tank right now and he's by himself just a frog tank next door thats all. Is there anything I can do to prevent him from getting this again?
Oh yes, Sorry I wasn't clear. You should do 100% water changes daily. I used to use a 2.5 g as a hospital tank, but after using a .5 g, I wouldn't go back to a 2.5 g. It's so much easier to change the water. I just carry him into the bathroom. Cup him, dump the tank water, and fill it up in the sink. I acutally got my .5 to treat a case of Popeye.

I believe Popeye is caused by bacteria that is always present in the water. It is during times of stress and illness that it is able to take hold. So, keep your water clean, your temperature steady and warm, and try to keep his stress level down.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #5 
charminglyxdream

Okay. Right now I haven't been using the filter. Should I start using it? His water is always 80. How long should he stay in the hospital tank?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #6 
charminglyxdream

So I've been giving him the epsom salt treatment in his hospital tank and yesterday he looked great! He was swimming around and loving it. But now today he just sits on the bottom and doesn't do a thing. Also when cleaning out the hospital tank, I haven't found any poop coming from him but he isn't bloated. He ate yesterday 5 pellets but today he won't eat anything.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #7 
charminglyxdream

I've been using the 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon and his eye is even bigger now and he has lost his color, won't eat, and will only sit on the bottom of the tank. Is there something else I can do?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #8 
DoctorWhoLuver

You can go up to a maximum of 3tsp/per gallon. If his eye is getting bigger, you may want to slowly increase the dosage to 1.5 or 2 tsp per gallon. Epsom salt is a very light medication, so it shouldn't be too harsh on him. You can try to make him feel more comfortable by adding a tannin source to the water (Indian Almond Leaf/Oak Leaves).
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #9 
charminglyxdream

When they have popeye can they not see? Cause I put his food right in front of him and he doesn't even eat it. When I tried to cup him for a tank cleaning he used to always swim from the cup but now he doesn't. It's like he doesn't see the stuff anymore.

:( I'm not sure if any of this is even helping him. Poor guy....
Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #10 
DoctorWhoLuver

Not sure about that.. But it's not uncommon for a lethargic fish who is feeling unwell to ignore food. I'm sure he's able to sense the cup and the pellet. Fish have a feature called a lateral line which helps them sense motion, it's also the reason why schooling fish look so in-sync.
I hope he feels better soon!:)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
redness, sick, sits at the bottom, won't eat food, won't swim around