Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #1 
IonBaller07

HEHE my bettas funny + ????

So Ive been sitting here watching my new betta. He keeps trying to blow what appears to be bubble nests. He swims up to the top and blows 2-3 bubbles. But then his fat but plows right through them when he swims away. Then he turns and looks where he blew the bubbles as if thinking, "I knew I just blew some where did they go."

But anyways, while I have a thread I have a few questions.

How fast do bettas grow, like how long until hes full size?

Do they normally stay the same color or do they change as they grow?

Im thinking of going out to buy some different food, he has the pellets but they dont look very appatizing, what is better the bloodworms or brine shrimp or what.

Is there anything I can give him to fatten/healthen? him up a bit, he just came out of the petco bowl last night and every now and then he starts looking like hes going on his side, and I keep thinking he going to just flip over and die.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #2 
anastasiavixen

From what I have read, the bloodworms/brine shrimp is only a snack (like once a week) and not good to give them on a daily basis as their main food. The betta pellets may not look appetizing, but they are a great all around food, and they will give him everything he needs on a daily basis. Mine loves them :) The bloodworms/brine shrimp are kind of like betta junk food. They are good for them in small amounts, but not all the time.

And, that is silly, your betta plowing through his bubblenest :) I'm sure he will get it, he's just practicing I bet! Must be funny to watch though!
anastasiavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #3 
anastasiavixen

And, I don't think you have to worry about the flipping over. Mine wobbles sometimes, or so it looks like, and I think that it is just the flipping around they like to do while they are swimming. I've watched him swim a lot, and I have had him about a year, and he still does it, even though I know he is happy and fine. They swim quite differently than other fish do, it seems, with all the flipping around and stuff.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #4 
IonBaller07

Alright, its the same way with my geckos and waxworms only like once a week.

I just scared myself/him pretty bad. He was sitting on the top again and he rolled almost completely on his side and just sat there. I thought hewas dead so I got up and looked at him from above. He didnt move and seemed to be dead, so I slowly dipped my finger in and lightly poked him in the stomach. He quickly straghtened up and swam away.Now hes pretty mad but he is swimming around the tank lively again. Is he dying :( What can do for him?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #5 
anastasiavixen

I hope he's not, but I'm by no means an expert. What have you been feeding him? How often are you feeding him? What is his tank like? How big is the tank? Is the tank heated? Is he at the top of the tank a lot, or at the bottom? Is he doing this laying sideways thing all the time, or just sometimes? Does he move around a lot or a little?

Maybe someone else can pitch in, because many of the other members have more experience than I do.

Also, try making a post in the fish diseases and emergencies forum, if you think that he is doing that badly.

He may also just be getting used to his new environment, so keep an eye on him :)
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #6 
IonBaller07

Hes in a ten gallon heated and filtered but not cycled. Im feeding him "betta bio-gold" baby pellets, he ate 3-4 last night but wont eat any this morning. The heater is pretty crappy. Its supposed to be a 2-15 gallon heater but its only making the water 75.7 right now.

You can see his tank here (looks like you already did )
http://www.fishforum.com/betta-pictu...54/#post186051

He wasnt doing the side thing at all last night. This morning he slightly rolled a few times but did a pretty big roll that once. He stays near the top most of the time and only goes down when hes exploring something or if I make him mad somehow. I know if I hes doing THAT bad but I dont really know because this is my first real fish.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #7 
anastasiavixen

Lol, I didn't make the connection until you said something :)

If he's not doing that roll thing all the time, I would say it is just him playing, unless he is hitting a current in your tank from the filter? I had that problem a bit because of the filter current being too strong. Sometimes Fighty (my betta) would roll or whatever because of the current pushing him over (I block some of the flow with a sponge and some plants.)

I bet he's just getting used to the new environment. Fighty didn't eat well for a while, about a week, after I brought him home because he was still getting used to his new home. I would just keep an eye on him. If he is swimming around, and hanging out at the top of the tank, and gulping air, he is probably fine. Just keep trying to feed him at regular intervals, so he gets used to when mealtime is. He also has to get used to you as his new caretaker!

Usually a bubble nest is a good sign that is ok, too, from what I have heard.

The temp is on the low end of good, which is ok. If you can get it a little warmer, it would probably be better. Just do what you can (I'd imagine stable is better than warmer, is the temperature stable, ie the same all the time? Including at night?)

Anyway, that would be my advice. Hopefully we can get some input from some of the more experienced members too!

Last edited by anastasiavixen; 04-07-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #8 
Nataku

The drifting over onto his side indicates a possible swim bladder disorder. This is either genetic, or (more often) caused by overfeeding. I'd recommend cutting back on how much you feed him, let him fast for a day or two, and see if that helps improve his condition. Also, SBD can be caused by feeding your fish brine shrimp which have not fully been properly decapsulated, as the fish will eat them, but cannot digest them, which makes them all bloated. So no brine shrimp for a bit, if you have been feeding him any. Don't worry about how he stays near the surface so much as the tilting bit, bettas breathe air, and that is why they will often spend a lot of time up there. It's when they spend all their time laying on the bottom of the tank and only coming up for a breath of air before falling back to the bottom that you need to be worried.

As Anastasia already said, betta pellets are a complete source of nutrition for your fish, so it's best to keep him on those. If you want to get a better brand, I hear the best is Hikari Betta bio-gold, which pretty much any betta seems to like.

Betta's reach full size at around 9 months to one year of age, although young bettas will resemble adults by 3-4 months of age, just be slightly smaller as their fins and body continue the last gradual bit of growth. However, determining exactly how old a betta bought from a store is is often difficult, as the stores generally aren't helpful (generally they have no idea whatsoever) in that regard. Some bettas are naturally smaller than others, even full grown. Don't worry, that's not neccessarily a bad thing.

When betta fry are born, they are clear. They will slowly take on their adult coloration as they age and generally have something pretty close to their final adult coloration and patterning by four months of age, but this is not alwyas set in stone. Some bettas do change color. The living conditions that they are kept in are also apt to influence a betta's coloration. Many store-bought bettas are notorious for changing color once you bring them home and put them in a proper tank. Your male is a rather pretty looking white, but I have read that especially in white bettas, as they tend to grow older, they will sometimes pick up 'color washes' in their fins and body which can give them a pastel appearance. I've never had a white betta myself, so I can't say from personal experience how dramatic that change may or may not be.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

If he's floating on his side, it could be swimbladder disorder. This can be caused by constipation. If he's not been pooping, then I'd feed him some freeze dried or frozen daphnia. Freeze dried food needs to be rehydrated before feeding and frozen food needs to be thawed before feeding. Hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #10 
jimmypatrickbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
If he's floating on his side, it could be swimbladder disorder. This can be caused by constipation. If he's not been pooping, then I'd feed him some freeze dried or frozen daphnia. Freeze dried food needs to be rehydrated before feeding and frozen food needs to be thawed before feeding. Hope this helps.
How does a fish get dehydrated? Their swimming in water 24 hours a day
jimmypatrickbetta is offline   Reply With Quote